🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stats in plaform fighters

Started by
0 comments, last by Premandrake 23 years, 8 months ago
I''ve seen some very interesting discussions recently on the mechanics of platform fighters (street fighter, tekken)contrasted with traditional rpg battles (ff series, secret of mana). I am currently developing a platform style fighter and have reached the point where gameplay needs to be really well defined for me to continue. My question is what do you think the best way to merge RPG stats with a fighting game? For example, if you have played OMF:2097 (the only great PC platform fighter to my knowledge), you can upgrade your fighter with improvements in speed, power and endurance. Also, you have various robots that you can use, which have arm/leg power, speed, armor and so on.. Anyway, this system adds a tremendous amount of replay value to the game and makes it much more enjoying because as you progress through the various tournaments you keep improving your fighter with the money you earn from victories, so a loss actually matters to you. I really liked this idea and wanted to apply a similar concept to my game, but since you guys come up with such great ideas I wanted to see what kinds of thoughts you had on this. PreManDrake
Advertisement
Whats wrong with stats (RPG), all 17 pages of it.. That might give you some idea of how to handle stats

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement