Advertisement

Need help starting an fps

Started by February 14, 2005 03:32 AM
22 comments, last by pheonix2468 19 years, 7 months ago
OK ill be honest im not that good at codeing. Im pretty new and i want to make an fps, i know how to do quads and stuff so i can make the levels and stuff but i need help to get started on keyboard interaction (say W,S,A,D) for movement and the mouse to look around. I have experience with basic4gl wich is a bit like c++ but with some differences like (int(in c++) is dim(in basic4gl)) but i lost most of my code for that.PLZ could you guys help me as i ant to get started in fps's.
Erm, you have no chance what so ever of creating a FPS if you are "not that good at codeing" (which is coding btw :-P)

i suggest you keep on programming, do some smaller projects just to get a feel for openGL and perfect your C++ skills, then try and tackle a FPS.

hope that helps
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Advertisement
I don't meen to be rough or to break down your dreams... but Ademan555 is completely right.

Doing an FPS is a complete overkill for someone working alone, and with little coding skills. Start small. Try to make small demo programs, learning something new with everyone of them... just gathering knowledge and learning.

And, by the way, ask yourself why do you want to make an FPS. If you want to make an FPS because that's the type of games you prefer, then i would point you to making mods. The advantage of making mods is that the engine already exists, you change the content of the game. And i must say that just making new contents for an already existing engine is a lot of work by itself. Now imagine making everything by yourself.
If, by the other side, you want to make an FPS because you are curious about the technology and techniques behind it, than stick to Ademan555 advice and start with small projects.

Best of lucks on whatever path that lies before you!
Thanks for the advice. Although before i came back to this i had a go at trying to convert an fps from another language basic4gl, it's pretty simple, a coridoor wich you can move arround in by useing the arrow keys and i changed them to W, S, A and D. But whilst converting dev c++ says that cos and sin aren't declared (i used cosd and sind for movement)like this;
if (keys['A']);
{
camx = camx + 1;
}
if (keys['D']);
{
camx = camx - 1;
}
if (keys['W']);
{
camx = camx - sin (camang) * .2;
camz = camz - cos (camang) * .2;

}
if (keys['S']);
{
camx = camx + sin (camang) * .2;
camz = camz + cos (camang) * .2;
}
is there a file that needs to be included for me to use these or does c++ use something different. You're help would be appreciated, though if i've gone about it wrong, could you tell me which direction i should be going in either carry on and look for help in the tutorials and places or should i forget about an fps and start on something alot easier.
Yes, I guess you have to include "math.h"
Thanks it compiled and ran. i probably will carry on with it in parts as im learning and hopefully it by the end i would have learned new things and have an fps.
Advertisement
Heres what ive tried though unsurprisingly doesn't work o_0
/-\
For the record, if your using c++, you should include cmath not math.h its the "new standard" way of doing things just like iostream over iostream.h (well kinda, since math is a carry over from the old c days, hence the cmath)

hope that helps,
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Im using dev-c++ and it doesn't have cmath.h where can i get it from and what are the advantages/disadvantages
i said cmath not cmath.h

double edit: (mispelled edit lol) edit: no disadvantages, and the advantage is being more "correct" and considering it costs you nothing more than typing a different name, you might as well do it

-Dan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement