Advertisement

***How to Blow up enemies?***

Started by February 18, 2005 08:43 AM
10 comments, last by BangorRipper 19 years, 6 months ago
Now that I have sorted collision detection and removing the aliens from the screen when they are hit by not rendering the alien if its boolean isAlive in its constructor is set to false, how can i now make it seem as though the alien blows up when it is hit? Are there any nice textures or whatever is needed out there that will do this, i am very very new to openGL so unfortunately i am a bit useless :(
2d or 3d?

let me know as i have the very thing in 2d..................vc++ code to backup the textures too
Advertisement
it's 3d models viewed from a 2d perspective, so would probably need 3d.
i am coding in lwjgl by the way
thanks to anyone who can help
My thinking would be:

1. Create a number of models of parts of the alien, as if it had cracked up. Create those as separate entities, and have them move apart from the alien's previous trajectory, spinning in random axes etc.
2. Use some billboards to create explosion graphics and/or smoke
3. A combination of 1 and 2

Mark
Look into some of the articles on this site on particles and particle engines--probably just what you're looking for.
------------------------------yage3d.net—a free 3D game engine written in D.listpod.net—a community powered web 2.0 site of lists.
sorry but way too complicated for me markr, i am a total newbie to this game, i was just hoping there are nice easy example written in lwjgl, textures included but maybe i hope for too much
Advertisement
2d would work...

Have a count down for the alien before it disapears say 5 secs then render the 2d bilboard explosion over it half opaqeu and then remove it..
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
You also could make the model have this anmimation, just like a walking animation. I know Milkshape3d has a "wizard"/tool that does this for you, but if you are using skeletal animation anyway, just create the animation that randomly separates the bones in you model editor. I would seriously try a particle effect as well. It isn't really all that complex and you can make it do how you want to.

i am not using a model loader, i am loading in as a raw file and storing in buffers
thanks
I can assume then that your models are static. I recommend two things, either a particle system, or modifying the vertices to spread out in an animated style.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement