🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ideas for a satire

Started by
19 comments, last by TrigonLoki 23 years, 7 months ago
Considering all the commotion of the past year (how long has it been since this board really started taking off?), our production group (having done games with such titles as CheeseWars, BunnyToss, and Crazy Critters in the past - games with themes similar to their names) decided to embark into the RPG world with a satire of the standard Baldur''s Gate-esque CRPG. We''ve thought of quite a few things which would be quite enjoyable to poke fun at: Nerf-like weapons, statistics, bosses (a goblin wearing a business suit), misuse of Old English, etc. A two-pronged question: Do you have any ideas of things to add to the list? And what would be an appropriate plot/quest for such an endeavor? Many thanks and praises, Loki the Shapeshifter I like food.
I like food.
Advertisement
Let me just say: "Good luck on your project".. I love a bit of satire . But as for additions? How about take some ideas from Monty Python... Or Red Dwarf .. Brittas Empire?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

LOL! Awesome!

To parody the kill the villain, save the princess plot you should have to kill the princess and save the villain.

When you wack on enemies they should explode into a bunch of bouncing coins.

One of major guilds in town should be the Fedex Knights. Every quest they give is "Take this to there."

The local blacksmith should charge 6.59x10 to the 35 power for weapons and armor, but once you buy it only offer a few gold pieces if you try to sell it back.

Male warriors should be covered from head to toe with tons of clunky armor, but females should wear armored pasties and g-strings. (Hey! Don''t look at me like that, it''s a parody!!!)

Chickens and bunny rabbits should do d1000 points of damage ("Pulleth the pin of the Holy Hand Grenade...")

... more as I think of them...

Good luck!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
And have a magic guy called "Tim the enchater"

"I am an enchanter"
"And what might your name be?"
"There are those who call me... Tim"
"Alright time the enchanter..."

Or the bridge...

"What is your favourite colour?"
"Red... No Green... Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhh!"

LOL Wav... Some of those ideas are funny

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I know... For casting the "Fireball" spell, the character bends over, gets a torch and lights their fart... That should make em all laugh

Lemme repeat another idea, if you are making a multi-racial world like BG had...then allow the larger people to pick up and throw their allies at the enemies. Its always worth a laugh when your dwarf goes tumbling across the screen to hit that polka-dotted dragon. And, true to BG''s style, begins babbling for the next five minutes about how you are oppressing him.

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Actually, I think that the dwarves (being muscular like blacksmiths) should be able to pick the HUMANS up and throw them.. Actually, it would be funnier if the dwarves threw Elves true to the wars that they have with each other

But dwarves make such good projectiles!

Wav, those ideas are fantastic... I especially like killing the princess and saving the villain, or the bit about the exploding coins. I really want to see this game!

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
NO! Dwarves don''t make good projectiles... they are too bulky... A stringy elf would be more humourous (or else I will have to take dragon form to prove my point )

How about make it a mixture of both COINS AND RINGS that explode from the guys that you kill. OR, instead of allowing the enemies to die, have them writhing around on the ground (where you are unable to attack them). If you come too close to them then they start biting at your legs

A fantasy satire would be great.
Also conosider Terry Pratchett and Phil Foglio (good ol'' Phil and Trixie) for source ideas.

I think the men should wear the G-strings and the women wear head to toe plate. Or else have a normally built female shopping at the local blacksmith''s, complaining about not fitting into the skimpy supermodel wear.

Magic spells should always have silly visual effects.

Other things to poke fun at:
Only the heroes actually move into or out of towns. All the local NPCs tend to stay put (most stay rooted to the same spot)

Anything from the Evil Overlord list.

In the span of a few game weeks, the heroes go from know-nothing beginners to almost godlike power.

the NPCs react the same to you no matter what you do or have done. Oh, and the long boring speeches they make that can be summed up with ''go kill foo''

Gold and treasure are actually a biological by-product of monsters (there was a gold is monster poop post a while ago).

The carrying capacity of the average adventurer''s backpack.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement