🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Was Dig-Dug an RPG?

Started by
12 comments, last by Lubb 23 years, 7 months ago
- Probably not. -Dig-Dug was *somewhat* unique in how it played: you dug tunnels which (for the most part) became the playing field. - "Just thinkin'' about, , , -playing fields." - -In most sports games such as football, you are free to travel anywhere over a field of play. Being just anywhere may not be particularly advantageous, but you can still move around to any part of the allowed area of play at any time during play. The opponents can also move anywhere (though they tend to keep their minds on the game, mostly). Many sports and real-time-strategy games are like this. -In Pac-Man, you had a maze (a simple one, anyway) laid out, and you and the enemies both had to maneuver around within the limits of the walls. You weren''t allowed to move through the walls. Many first-person-shooter games are like this. -Dig-Dug is different though, because at the beginning, the play area is an open field, but as you dig more tunnels it becomes a maze that the enemies are restricted to [for the most part: they could move through the "solid" dirt, but they moved through a tunnel faster and prefer to use them]. You could dig little branches off of a straight vertical tunnel, and then wait to pump the dragon-guys or whatever-they-were as they passed by hunting you. You could, to an extent, construct the playing field to your advantage. ~ Are there any other games like this? Games where you "construct your own maze", so to speak? - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
Advertisement
I beg your pardon, SIR. Dig Dug was an AWESOME RPG. I cried when Aeris died! So there!

And no, I''ve been playing a lot of MAME and haven''t encountered a make your own maze game like it. Lemmings and Worms had special characters or tools to build mazes, but that wasn''t the point of the game. So I think it was unique.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Well, when I was young I played Mr. Wiz (for BBC, Electron) a lot. It''s exactly the same game as Dig Dug (at least the gameplay). And there also is Digger for the PC (10 years old or so). But I don''t know about other game''s which share the same idea but a different gameplay...
--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
I never hear of this game.... Than name sound stupid!

sorry if i ofend somwe one!
I played DigDug on an 8088 with 640k RAM and CGA graphics. *ahem*
Great game but I never got further than level 5 (shame on me!)
I was about 9 then, though and for some reason I never used to get very far with games at that age...

Ah well...

- JQ, PWC Software
"programming is all about wasting time" -me
~phil
Shoot! I don''t get that far in todays games and I am alot older now...
Regards,JumpsterSemper Fi
-In Dig Dug, the environment is actually a weapon: in particular, the way you can dig straight up under rocks, letting them fall onto pursuing enemies, , and the way that you can detirmine how the tunnels get dug.
-Using the environment as a -primary- weapon as opposed to the conventional sense of a primary weapon being something that you carry around with you, sounds very interesting. - Lubb
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
quote: Original post by Lubb
Are there any other games like this? Games where you "construct your own maze", so to speak? - Lubb

What about Boulderdash for the C64?

A more modern example of this kind of game is Dungeon Keeper.

But isn''t all Sim games a bit like this. Take Transport Tycoon. Here you place road and the small cars travel on them they way you laid them out. There really is a common theme there.

And actually any game using dynamic environments (there is another thread on this) is actually allowing the player to build the level at run-time, so to speak.

Jacob Marner

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Anyone remember Solomon''s Key''s for the 8-bit NES?

Puzzles were one screen big, and you character could create/destroy little blocks anywhere next to him(that wasn''t already part of the background).

You could make blocks to trap baddies or to stop their projectiles, then make blocks that were a staircase for you to reach the exit.

This is kind of like the playfeild editing that you''re describing in Dig-Dug. And, it was a REALLY cool game that I''m just curious to know if anyone else ever played.

i know solomon''s key, mainly the arcade version.
has a great gameplay, a good mixture of puzzle and action.
same with boulderdash.
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement