🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ice Skating!

Started by
4 comments, last by dwarfsoft 23 years, 8 months ago
I don''t really know why, but I always wanted to have an RPG[-like] in which you could Ice Skate (don''t ask how you would implement... I haven''t really put much thought into it)... What other weird things do people want to see in their chosen genre-lised game group? -Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche           
Advertisement
I think in one of the rogue-likes there is an icy level. Player motion proceeds in a straightline until it hits a wall or other obstacle.

Or did you mean more like the stuff they have on the olympics?

In that case, try the novel Achilles Choice by Larry Niven. The protagonist is an Olympic athelete who undergoes some rather severe technological enhancements (legal, all the atheletes do). The protagonist then competes in 3 events, one physical, one research, one artistic. The downside of the modifications is that they''re fatal in just a few years. Achilles choice - a short glorious life or a long and unremarkable one.

It would sure beat the hell out of whatever the official Olympic computer games look like.
Skiing!!!! With crossbows!!! (It''d go great with your ice skating, as you''d put of the skis after you got off the frozen lake.)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Nice idea i''ve been wanting to make a Sking game myself the only problem is that my programming skills are still on the beginners level which really sucks, but like i said sounds like a nice idea.

Ice ski thhrough different woulds or through different coutries.
I''ve been thinking for some time about a medieval ''football'' game, with wizards and clerics on the sideline, while rogues (backs) and warriors (blockers/tacklers) fight it out on the field.

Really, they could just create a ''world'' where all players can do is play sports and I''d play it.

Wouldn''t you want to create an online ''personality'' and be able to play all sorts of games, but always with the same character? Be it ''earth'' sports or fantasy sports?

Throw in some character-development aspects and you''ll have two gamers for the price of one (sports-fanatics & character development-fanatics).

Of course, all the games would have to be adjusted to eachother, in order to be able to use the same character-statistics and the same interface.

Anyone ever play MUDS? Well, there''s an idea that could get you started.

Silvermyst
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Medieval football? You aren''t thinking of BloodBowl type gaming are you? LOL... I love that game (tabletop football with medieval teams).

Anyway.. I like the skiing idea, I think the reason why I wanted ice-skating was because there would be a snowy place... That way I could work in White Wolves (cool if you ask me).. Oh, And it is for an RPG BTW

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement