Advertisement

Pressure-sensitive mouse

Started by March 19, 2005 09:02 PM
19 comments, last by eSCHEn 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi all! A bit off topic I know, but not really! A lot of 3D artists here. :-) I am designing a standard-type "pressure-sensitive" mouse, where one of the main markets will be artists/3D designers. They could then click harder or softer for stronger Photoshop brush strokes, or control how far to extrude, or whatever 3dsmax, etc, wants to do with the pressure data. :) I can even show you guys the results of the hardware project at the end! This prototype design will be completed in a couple months (deadline!) and may actually become a product in a few years, so your input would really help, whether you hate or love this idea!! The survey is NINE really EASY questions. I'd reeeeallly appreciate feedback! Thanks!! Just reply here in the thread w/your answers. You can also tell me if you like the idea (even if it isn't necessarily unique, it was to me.) I don't need a hundred answers, so every opinion counts! Thanks guys! ================================= 1. What applications do you use your computer for most? A. Gaming B. Design ( CAD, 3D, etc ) C. Word processing D. Work / Other 2. What value do you put on overall performance of a mouse you buy (i.e. smooth movement, accuracy, etc)? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Don’t consider------------Huge consideration 3. What value do you put on aesthetics of a mouse you buy (look and feel)? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Don’t consider------------Huge consideration 4. What value do you put on durability of a mouse you buy? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Don’t consider------------Huge consideration 5. How important is hearing the “click” noise of the mouse so that you know that you’ve clicked? 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Not Important------------Very Important 6. How much did you pay for your last mouse? A. $0 - $15 B. $16 - $30 C. $31 - $50 D. $50 + 7. How much would you be willing to pay for a pressure-sensitive mouse (IF more PC games and design programs used the feature)? A. Would not buy B. $1 - $15 C. $16 - $30 D. $31 - $50 E. $50 + 8. Are you satisfied with your current mouse? 9. What do you like / dislike about your current mouse?
--== discman1028 ==--
I think this may get a better reponse in the 'Help Wanted' forum but here's my answers if you want them:

Q1: D, codingQ2: 10Q3: 7Q4: 8Q5: 1Q6: CQ7: D possibly E if it was super-fantasticQ8: YesQ9: Dislike:  Teflon pads get gunked up    Like:  Neutral handed-ness, long life, no ball, loads of buttons

Hope that's what you were wanting.
--
Cheers,
Darren Clark
Advertisement
1) A. Gaming

2) 10

3. 3

4. 8

5. 6

6. D, $100

7. E, $100

8. Quite.

9. Like: Accurate, fits good in hand. So far quite wear-resistant. Cordless and laser tech are great features.
Dislike: Collects gunk on the mouse feet.

Good luck with the mouse project :)

To make it is hell. To fail is divine.

A pressure sensitive mouse is probably a bad idea. It would be a lot easier to control the lightness of strokes using a control rather than how hard you press a mouse button.

You could certainly achieve a decent one, but if the person is looking for precise coloring, they won't consider your product due to the unreliability of pressing down with the precise strength needed.
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
1 - A and B equaly
2 - 10
3 - 4
4 - 4
5 - 100
6 - C
7 - A
8 - yes
9 - like: good size, nice scrollbutton
Dislike: it's a bit to small for me.

i don't get why a pressure sensitive mouse would be usefull at all, whenever i need pressure data i just pick up my wacom pen and start scetching, it's atleast 10 times faster than any mouse when doing stuff in photoshop.

1 - B
2 - 10
3 - 7
4 - 4
5 - 5
6 - C
7 - A
8 - yes
9 -
like: Small, accurate and has a wide wireless range.
Dislike: Wireless reception can be interupted by other electronic devices.

Its been my experience that the keyboard and mouse are the easiest tools to use when creating content. They work naturally together. Wacom tablets are also fairly deacent but I still prefer the mouse and keyboard. If I get you right, essentially what you're proposing is fusing the pressure sensitivity of the wacom stylus with the accuracy of the mouse. I'm altogether not sure how this combination would work having never used it.

To be honest, I think the only thing I would use it for would be 2d content creation; its currently all I use the wacom tablet for, specifically when airbrushing something. I dont really see a 3d application for something like this. I think it would be difficult to control the z dimention using pressure sensitivity. I may try something like this if it came with an easy to use SDK so I could potentially build content creation tools using the device to test it out. However if the price were too high, I would probably just avoid it.

lol, dont be too discouraged. Programmers are typically one of the hardest crowds to convince to change their workflow. Perhaps you could try the milkshape and blender forums?

Hope this helps,
- llvllatrix
Advertisement
SumDude: Say you wanted a paintbrush stroke that tapered off, then got fatter, then got skinny, and you wanted smooth movement when drawing. It would be tough to play with the keyboard while moving.

lc_overlord: Pens are good, but you know everyone doesn't have a pen. If people don't need it they don't buy it. If this mouse were backwards compatible and competitively priced w/normal mice, people would have no reason not to buy a pressure-sensitive mouse.

llvllatrix: I did try milkshape.com, got a response. If this device became standard and had an SDK, I am alomst positive MS would find creative uses to browse the web in new ways. Go to www.newgrounds.com. If the overflowing creativity of that site couldn't find a use for a pressure-control, then god help us all. There have been more obscure inventions than this.

Thanks for all your input!! (some is good more is better! hehe)
Andy
--== discman1028 ==--
By the way, take the survey and you get a ratings boost from me for sure!!

And you don't need to number the answers, you can just list them.

Andy
--== discman1028 ==--
I'd fill out your survey, but I'm running out of time, sorry.

But, if you're thinking about a pressure sensitive mouse, why not have the pressure sensitive button seperate, like on the side of the mouse. That way, you could decide the pressure, and then click with the regular buttons. So it doesn't get in your way when you don't want it, but it's still there for when you do.

Just a thought.
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
The basic idea is like the PS2. It would feel exactly like a normal mouse. The pressure comes from pressing BEYOND the click. Click your mouse. You hear the click, you are "clicking". Now push harder. That's what I want to measure.

But that is a good idea!

Andy
--== discman1028 ==--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement