🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

strategy system method

Started by
2 comments, last by Arkon 23 years, 8 months ago
hello i''m developing a strategy game and i have a few problems.. the main one is the system of the money for example: Warcraft-you dig the mines and get gold Dune-harvester gets spice to base . . . i want to do a cool ecology system and i''m stuck with this part so please feel free to say your ideas btw-it will be a 2d scroll(duh) based game thanks,arkon http://qsoft.cjb.net
Advertisement
You may want to give out a bit more info - you need something in your game that is a ''valuable consideration'' & in tune with the enviroment - and what that may be is difficult to tell at the moment. Mebe, of course, you''ve just hit on one of the snags of an entirely ecological world where we don''t extract natural resources.

PS. Assuming that this is in the future, why not have a credit system based on services rendered to other non-player parties - eg production of something for them, sale of (renewable) power to them etc.
Idea. What about mixing ecology and money?

For instance, have some plants. If the player leaves them alone small animals will appear to eat them. The plants will be eaten but the player can then hunt the animals. If these are left alone bigger animals come, and so on. Some of the biggest animals might even attack the player so fields shouldn''t be left alone for two long or the player will have to fight them to get to the fields. SOme of the smaller animals might be tamed and used in the player forces, and might even be upgraded given plant resources.

You could say that:
Plant -> Oil
Small Animal -> Food for soldiers
Medium Animal -> Horses for cavalery (or something similiar)
Large animal -> Elephants for transports
Very large animals -> Agresize predators. players and enemies stay away!

So if the player kills animals the plants will grow. Killing/taming the right animal might therefore give more of other resources.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
i didn''t get the example you gave...

felonius - i get you ideas, i can program it
but from the graphics aspect i can''t do it, unless i''ll have a good artist

and what if i wanna do the game in future with same system??

thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement