🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The SF-Fantasy Bridge

Started by
16 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 7 months ago
In the seventh grade I nearly got into a knock-down, drag out fight with my best friend. He was a fantasy fan, and I thought SF ruled. To an seventh grader, it looked like the end of the world! The Starcraft Analysis thread got me thinking again... I''ve always wondered if there''s a genre bridge between the two, something that could draw in and not repel or offend fans of each. I don''t think it''s science-fantasy, as swords and spells turn everything into fantasy with a SF setting. If you like fantasy, what''s essential about it, without which it wouldn''t be good fantasy for you? Could SF duplicate it? If you like SF, what''s essential about SF, without which it would suck? Could fantasy have these elements? For me, a fantasy world that has understandable rules, with some internal consistency and believability, works just fine (absent stereotypical plot and such). As an SF fan, I want structure. If the rules change, just because the Gods will or it''s Friday, I go nuts and put the book down. As a game world, Thief mostly works for me because of this, as does Age of Empires (really history, not fantasy... but still). I think a good cross-over might be a relatively low-tech society on a strangely alien environment, where psionics form a kind of magic... or an extremely high tech background modeled on some type of mythology, where technology IS magic, like the book Lord of Light (where some colonists have used technology to turn themselves into Hindu gods, and driven out the world''s energy based Rakasha "demons") Can we all get along??? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
I don''t know what the hell it is. I almost feel it has something w/ the rules thing. In Sci-Fi movies I always like it when they take things pretty far and break a lot of rules of reality.

Like, the SF aspect of the Matrix (however many holes may have been in it) was pretty cool because it took reality but spun it around a lot. Contact was cool IMO because it went pretty far about space travel and alien intelligent life, but didn''t turn into another stupid aliens attacking Earth thing or something.

I''d say I liked the bending rules of reality except that I really like movies that take place in medieval times or earlier such, but aren''t fantastical w/ wizards and dragons and stuff. Although that stuff is strangely attractive to me too...So I am really confused on what it is.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Ever play phantasy star? I think it did a cross of fantasy and SF pretty well.. especially PS4. Swords and magic coexisted with robots and spaceships fairly well, I thought.
Horror set amidst the past can provide elements to bridge the gap. Look at the original movie Frankenstien, or the book. It features a dark and stormy castle and a monster, yet it also features science elements such as medicine and electricity. Look at the inventions and ideas of Tesla: scientific, yet fantastical. Build a story around concepts like these, and you have elements of both fantasy and sci-fi.

F. Paul Wilson does this well with his 'Repairman Jack' books. Dean Koontz seems too integrate sci-fi with the paranormal and supernatural in a contemporary setting. Look at Michael Crichton's 'Timeline' book. Pure sci-fi with medieval destinations.

Edited by - bishop_pass on November 9, 2000 11:03:58 PM
quote: Original post by A. Buza

Ever play phantasy star? I think it did a cross of fantasy and SF pretty well.. especially PS4. Swords and magic coexisted with robots and spaceships fairly well, I thought.

Ah, but for me this is EXACTLY what doesn''t work. It seems like when someone whips out a sword and fairies start racing about, it''s fantasy, no matter the setting.

It could just be me. But Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star both have that "flaw". (<--- notice quotes)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Could someone tell me when/why the heck fantasy started being related to elves & fairies & swords? Fantasy really seems to encompass anything fantastical... SF included...

I know it's just common nomenclature, but I just had to get that out of my system.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 9, 2000 9:34:46 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I agree Naz... I can think of 2 GREAT fantasy stories. Star Wars and Dune. Both are FANTASY with elements of Sci-fi (I don''t care if I get flamed for this). They were good crosses. Frankenstein was a Fantasy with sci-fi elements, and I can think of some sci-fi with fantasy elements too (though they are more sci-fi and wouldn''t really be classed as having any fantasy by most)

Anyway... ALSO.. WHEN DID FANTASY EVER COME BACK TO STEREOTYPICAL RACES. I just like the idea of magic and fantastical. Doesn''t matter the setting, though I prefer grass and trees to space stations and metallic objects.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Yep, dwarf, as usual, I agree totally.

I know what you mean about the grass & trees. I realize you don''t have to be in medieval times to see grass & trees, but there is something really cool about how fantasy[-ish] settings contain that. I never thought about it conciously but that is a major factor about fantasy[-ish] settings.

I just like the feeling of limited technology and advanced power. I think it is more of a complete feeling knowing that the power is coming from your character and not just an item that he can pick up (or anyone else pick up for that matter). Magicians are supposed to be scholars who are so intelligent that they can conjure up spells, and the only way to do that as well is to learn yourself... Which is why I don''t like the ability for just anyone to pick up that super-blaster and wipe out the anyone who stands in their way.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

yeah, I''d say that''s pretty accurate dwarf.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement