🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Games and Comic Books

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 3 months ago
I've only recently started looking at comic books as a source of inspiration for art and writing. Rex Mundi and The Red Star both have really unique universes and a style to them, and Powers just uses the form to really great potential. What do you think games and comic books have to learn from each other, if anything? Is there any particular comic book that you found inspiring?
Advertisement
I'm not sure about any comic books I have found inspiring, but something you might look at is games like Freedom Force. It's a game based on comic books (not anyone in paricular). It's graphics, world, dialog, etc have all been inspired by classic comic book design and themes.

"I can't believe I'm defending logic to a turing machine." - Kent Woolworth [Other Space]

You might want to take a look at ANY of Frank Miller's art, with a preference for Sin City and Elektra. He uses shadow and light in VERY exciting ways.

the series Wolverine:Origins is also interesting in its ways of coloring the drawing while removing the hard black line that surrounds it, thus making it closer to a "realist" look, while remaining recognizably comicbookish.

Consider also BUYING for yourself Alan MOORE's "V for Vendetta" and "watchmen" for their astounding scenarios.

Paul Chadwick's "concrete" is worth your attention too. And you should at "bone" for its blend of diferent drawing styles.

Yours faithfully,
Nicolas Fournials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement