🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

another magic idea

Started by
26 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 7 months ago
Note: I have a single-player game in mind... I just had a wierd, under-developed idea about limiting magic. What if a char had to go to some place in the world to sort of "charge up" his magic once a day or week or something in order to use it. This would mean that the player would have to plan ahead. This could work w/ dwarf's candle idea too. I don't know it just occured to me "All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. Edited by - Nazrix on 11/11/00 10:19:28 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Spend time rejuvanating candles... I actually had this in mind, sort of... A place eh? Hmmm... Good idea

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

yeah, I always like the concept of the char having to make journeys to encourage exploration other than just for exploration's sake. So, maybe there could be a couple "mystical places" that the char would have to visit every so often. Maybe have different mystical places for different types of spells... I dunno...just a thought.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 12, 2000 4:29:30 AM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Maybe have a magic decay. The longer the player spends away from these places, the spells start to decay and lose power. They have to go back to these places for the spells to reach their old peak

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

ah...I like that very much, dwarf...that's why I bring these things up...you always make a nice expansion to an idea

Edited by - Nazrix on November 12, 2000 4:38:48 AM
Hmmm... Magic decay is something that I have been ranting about recently in my doc... It gives a whole different aspect on magic being ''all-powerful''... Now it is ''all-powerful'' but ''limited'' at the same time. You have to find the next ''magic refueling'' station to continue using your magic... Holy places are likely to be more magic prone, so necromancers could powerup and coerce battles in cemetaries, paladins have battles around church grounds, and elemental wizards would try to bring their battles to the forests and streams Kind of brings tactics into play

oh I thought of another thing...perhaps some more powerful spells make it so you need to go to a very specific place for that particular spell, but it's a very well-kept secret as to where...and perhaps what you must do to get there...like you may have to spend one night near a mystical lake ...it could even go so far as having to stay there on a specific day of a game-month or game-week. But it would be a secret that the character would have to find out by intensive questioning or reading.

Edited by - Nazrix on November 12, 2000 4:43:54 AM
That is such a good idea... Brings to mind the LOTR event about the Moon Runes that the Dwarves used... It is all about being in the right place at the right time . I''ll add it in
I''ve never read Tolkien ~hides in shame~ but yeah I think that it could be really cool. It could really add some depth to the world. If it''s a medieval world, there could be some history about some ancient battle and the spirits are still in that area and rejuvenate you, or some astrological thing about alignments of planets...

actually I think Daggerfall had something about being able to summon a creature at certain times or something, but I didn''t play long enough to find out much about it.

That is another thing... Summonings at certain times and certain places. Blood rituals. Full moons. Candle Magic. Conjuring. Magic dispersion... It all comes into play at certain CRITICAL times and places. Make the player have to find out how rituals need to be carried out and if they miss the time and the place, they must wait for the next available time, or continue on in a different way... Hmmmm.. Divergence WRITEN ALL OVER IT

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement