🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

When is design done?

Started by
6 comments, last by MicahJon 23 years, 7 months ago
This is for those people who actually write some sort of plan before they start coding. Be it design doc, story board, or pen and napkin How do you decide when you''ve written enough down, and it''s time to start implementing? Obviously you can go on forever revising your design (at least I can, but then, I''m a writer at heart), and no matter how complete you may think the design is, it will require some level of on-the-fly redesign when implementing (even if it''s only that the main character wears red instead of blue) So help an amature out, what criteria do you use?
Advertisement
Argh!!! It''s never done!

I''m a perfectionist, and very "writerly" also. I think this is a personal discipline issue, and one that I have not yet mastered. For me, done is when I get so sick of looking at something that for months (or years!) has remained unimplemented. I''m at that point now. I have design ideas that can''t really be further discussed or refined, but instead must be implemented before I know if they REALLY work.

So done for me is when I have a broad overview complete and vital details as locked as they can be. I''d like to say done is done when I have a tech spec finished, but I''m not sure I have the patience. Guess that''s the trouble with being a one-man-band. :|

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I''m with you Wav, but this board has accelerated my ideas, so the design is nearer to completion in a quicker timeframe

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote: Original post by dwarfsoft

I''m with you Wav, but this board has accelerated my ideas, so the design is nearer to completion in a quicker timeframe

Lucky you! This dang board has just given me more questions than answers!!!!!

But in the end, I suppose that''s a good thing, right?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
True it has given me more questions... But these questions help me question my design. My design gives me answers to those questions in the form of "Yeah, that could work in this game" or "You have to be kidding right?"... Makes the game more clearly defined if you ask me because I know what IS in it and what definitely ISN''T

Of course it is a good thing

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I find that design is the most important part of the process and is actually never finished until the project is finished (even then some design elements are pending that did not find its way into the implementation). Anyway, If you are serious about actually completing a project, my advise would be to spend some time on research (not in number of hours, but in real time where the mind will absorb, combine and filter to produce logical design structures). Then try your best to decide the impact each design element will have on the budget (there is a budget even if you work alone and on your spare time, its called the patience budget). Ex.: You want to include high-quality NPC AI in your game, but you find that your knowledge is limited and it would propably take a lot of time to make. Reduce the goal-level to comply with what''s practically possible.

All this sound pretty business-like and engineering-typical, and that''s true. My belief is that ''from-the-hip'' engagement in game projects (or any project for that matter) only has a reasonable success-rate on smaller projects, so some logical thought is the better way to go.

A nice effect of the engineering method is that progress seems more tangiable and this helps to keep the initial spirit up. If the projects meets unpredicted walls, the motivation could plumage and so would the project.
Personally, I don''t think that you can complete the design, it can continue to grow ad infinitum (at least until you''ve passed the deadline by about a month or so )

Being a born-natural, uncontrollable feature-creeper, I find continual tweaking, and re-editing copies of the design invaluable, as I plough down loophole lane for the umpteenth time.

After all, it is far, far easier to correct the bloopers in the design doc, than in the explosion-in-a-wire-factory effect that gets created whenever I code
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds
To a large extent i agree with what annon says but there''s other issue''s to which will gravely affect the factor of a design becoming completable.

If you know exactly what the game is about and what kind of fun the player should recieve from it your''ve already gotten the ball rolling. Then you work out how this fun is going to be brought forth from the game. Also work out what type of game it will be - competition, building, environment orientated, or story based. If you go for a mix then you are already setting the bar pretty high for a beginner UNLESS you can make the different elements relevent in order to make the game easier to visualize for the game design when it comes time for researching and balancing the game.

If you can do all of the above and write it out so anyone can get a clear idea of what goals have been set then you can appraise each goal separately with a time line and then it''s just a matter of using your resources to their best advantage.

One more time for the dumbies
ar+gu+ment n. A discussion in which reasons are put forward in support of and against a proposition, proposal, or case; debate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement