🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What if the tables were turned?

Started by
9 comments, last by farmersckn 23 years, 7 months ago
Why don''t we ever think about what it would be like if humans weren''t the "superior" race? I just read a book (well, actually its a series of books, 8 to be exact) by William Forstchen, called The Lost Regiment. Anyone ever read that? It does a good job of showing what could be if humans weren''t "superior". Of course, in the end, well, I won''t say, in case anyone wants to read the books, but it is interesting to think about... farmersckn
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.
Advertisement
It would make a great element for a game. But it sounds a bit like a Matrixy concept. The machines are the superior race (even if they are going to lose in the end).

I just thought of how you can mix fantasy with sci-fi. Have a game set in fantasy times, with magic and etc. The character then figures out that it is all an illusion, and in fact everything is just highly technologised. They are the subject for an experiment of total gaming experience.

It might be cool to drag the player into a game story too... Make the player-character find out that they are just a character in a game... Or make the NPC''s figure this out, then they plead with the player to help them get out of the game. Just a bit of a crazy thought

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

As all you Douglas Adams fans out there know, humans are only the third most intelligent species on earth...
Just to add to what Dwarfsoft said... are we the underdogs ("Matrixy") or are we the oppressed. The first is interesting but pretty stereotypical. The second really interests me, but I don''t think it would be as supported. I don''t know if it''s the hero-myth crap or what, but it''s hard to identify with being the one with the boot on the back of your neck unless you''ve been there...

Would be interesting to see a game where goblin heroes where wading through hordes of human beings... Then you''d REALLY get the genocide perspective.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
I like the premise that we are an experiment, or something like seeds planted by a superior race. 8P I''m thinking of doing an epic battle kind of game where Armageddon''s going down and the aliens are watching, partially amused, partially eager, because Armageddon is being fought over an essential duality of human nature which the aliens designed into our genetic structure back when we were monkeys. Our genetic code is essentially a biological computer designed to produce the Perfect Being, who is coincidentally a member of the player''s tribe. Part of the player''s task is to woo the Perfect Being to the "true" side, as the Perfect Being is essentially the Ultimate Weapon. Which side is good or evil is left fairly ambiguous, and the player must choose a side, or take on the aliens themselves. . .look for it when I''m rich and famous (and/or could actually code that beast! )

Dwarfsoft''s mention of mixing sci-fi w. fantasy reminded me of this premise- part of the duality is the nature of magic. Either side accomplishes pretty much the same feats as the other, just the Northerners use true powers of the mind, while the Southerners use high technology. (makes for easier unit balancing, too ) The savages near the equator think its all magic, and the people of the poles are gods and demons. Of course, its all a farce as the aliens, a product of their manipulations.

Think it would fly?

They are all good (none are evil )... I am going to put this stuff into the Plot Elements section

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

quote: It would make a great element for a game. But it sounds a bit like a Matrixy concept. The machines are the superior race (even if they are going to lose in the end).

Have you not noticed, it''s not the human that are ''superior'', but...this big thing that we call ''Earth'', ''Planets'', ''Suns'', ''Universe''...

I think it makes a good concept for a game, actually; a game that supports the ''green'' thinking of our planet. Sponsored by Greenpeace. They should have the money to make this happen.

Cool... Inhabitants vs. the planet...

Story goes along these lines - Humans have been poluting the planet for too long... The Earth decides to try and irradicate the problem to help itself heal. Humans fight back. This means that there could be lots of natural disasters countered by either technology or magic (depending on your setting)... Sounds good. But would you make the humans win or the planet? Let the humans kill themselves by killing the planet or find an alternative solution? Hmmm...

Heck yeah. You''d be the planet. You''d have an overhead view like in sim-city, but all you''d do is destroy using natural disasters
-Forcaswriteln("Does this actually work?");
I think it''s interesting that we think we are superior and one of those reasons being that we can walk when 2 thirds of the earth is covered by water.

One more time for the dumbies
ar+gu+ment n. A discussion in which reasons are put forward in support of and against a proposition, proposal, or case; debate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement