🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript Debugger

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 19 years, 1 month ago
I am in the process of writing a symbolic debugger for AngelScript and I have discovered that the compiler does not retain the names of local variables and function parameters. Are there plans for implementing the Getxxx functions for local variables much like you have for globals? Would you object if I were to give it a go. If this is something that has not been done would you be comfortable with me adding an element to the asCScriptFunction class that would be an array of variable names? Bottom line is that I'm just delving into it so any direction you had would be very much appreciated.
Advertisement
Hi Mahonri,

I have been planning to implement this myself for a future version, but I have not made any work in this direction yet. You're more than welcome to implement this if you wish, it would be an excellent contribution to the library.

Indeed, some form of lookup for the local variables would be necessary in the asCScriptFunction class. I'd prefer if you keep the external interface similar to that of the global variables, except that the methods to access the local variables belong in the context interface.

If you can get it to work, I would like a feature that would allow the application to verify the scope of the variable as well, as some variables may not be valid during the entire function. And more, it is possible that there are two variables with the same name but different types in the same function (just not in the same scope).

I was planning on implementing a symbolic debugger for my Texture Generator as well. This contribution will make that task easier for me.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement