🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Athletics...

Started by
21 comments, last by Voodoo4 23 years, 7 months ago
First of all i''m glad i returned to this forum after two months of abscence! Long time no seeing. A lot of things have changed at GameDev and a lot of things remain the same. I hope all the good stuff has stayed untouched in this forum and everyone is still willing to converse and share ideas. But enough with this... I''m planning to make a 2D athletics game in the old smash-the-keyboard style. A game like the old 80''s coin-op game Track & Field or like Sega''s Decathlon,if you know what i mean. I really love this kind of games because they are extremely competitive and addictive,especially when played by more than one player.OK,they are not healthy for the keyboard but this is not my problem right now. What i would like from you people is to tell me what kind of events should the game have. For now i''m just planning to have only Athletics games like sprint and long jump. Also it would be GOOD to hear ways to implement them. For example the sprint event will require quick and continuous pressing and realising of the button,long jump will require the same until the athlet reaches the "white" line where the user must push the jump button and adjust the degrees of the jump,etc. Really cool for a game like this would be the multiplayer feature where many competitors will gather and test their "skills" online. There could also be an online database where all records would be stored! The game will be possibly 2D. A list of possible games would be this one: 100m Sprint 400m Long Jump Triple Jump High Jump Javelin 110m Hurdles Shot Put Pole Vault Hammer(i think this is how it''s called) maybe 1500m anything else? Oh,please i''d like some ideas for how to implement some of them. I know the standard ways but it would be good to add more features. Did i say i''m glad to be back? ------ AncientCode A site dedicated to VB Game Development. By Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Advertisement
Swimming. It''s one I haven''t seen much in games like that. And don''t forget to make the player press the breath button.
The running & jumping events could be implemented as part of a platform game, eg You must get to end of the track before the clock runs out. Put a few hurdles or simple enemies, and the player will have jump carefully, not to hit hurdles and lose speed.
The way the races in DKC2 worked well - the car races and the bird race.
(OK, so I'd rather play a platform game with variety than do the real thing)

Edited by - AndyMan on November 21, 2000 8:51:58 PM
kseh:
Swimming is not an athletics event,but it is a very good event to use.
Maybe i go further than athletics.
The only game i''ve seen using the swimming event is the old Hyper Olympics game of ''84(or ''86 i don''t remember).
If you have mame then go search for that game.
It uses a button to make the swimmer sprint and a button to make him breath.

Anyway in 1-2 weeks i hope to have finished the Long Jump event.
I''m only having trouble in drawing the athlet(i use Poser 4 to create the athlet and its poses)

------
AncientCode
A site dedicated to VB Game Development.
By Voodoo4
Not sure how ya do quotes on this board..This is part of Voodoo4''s first post:
A list of possible games would be this one:
100m Sprint
400m
Long Jump
Triple Jump
High Jump
Javelin
110m Hurdles
Shot Put
Pole Vault
Hammer(i think this is how it''s called)
maybe 1500m
anything else?

Aaack! You left out the world''s best event! The 800! Seriously, it might be fun to throw in a relay event like the 4x400 or a 4x100 or maybe a sprint medley. You could maybe have indoor and outdoor seasons as well (indoor distances are different at least in high school). As far as implementation goes I have no idea. I''m just starting out Cool idea for a game though!
Hmm...4x100 and 4x400 is very interesting.
Anyway,i have almost finished the 100m sprint engine and i believe it works really nice.
As soon as i add some of the graphics i''ll upload a sample.

------
AncientCode
By Voodoo4
How are you planning on scoring it? Will it be like an actual track meet where the officials keep track of all the results and the team with the most points wins, or will it just be an individual event sort of thing? It might be cool to have a decathalon or heptathalon as well. That probably wouldn''t be too hard once you''ve got the events that make them up down..

Looking forward to seeing your demo!
Don''t forget about Archery and Skeet Shooting from Hypersports. Both were really cool events, the latter being more about reactionary skills than anything.
------------------------------
Swimming is not an athletics event
------------------------------

Huh??
Well i''ve uploaded a sample of my project so far(4 days of development).
The game will be called World Record

Download it from WorldRecord.zip

The zip file contains the VB source code,graphics and the executable.
If you know VisualBasic then you can use the source code and maybe give me a little help
I wait for your comments!

Nor-Easter:
There are two options:
1)Each event will give the athlet points according to his/her performance.The athlet with the most points in general will be the winner
2)There won''t be just a single athlet but a whole team of athlets(a country for example).In each event a different athlet will be taking part.
The first three athlets in each event will get either the Gold,Silver or Bronze medal.
The team with the most medals(according to their significance) will be the winner.

Now i plan to follow the first option but maybe i''ll change my mind.

TwoFlower:
I really liked the Skeet Shooting event!Very nice one.
But i didn''t like the Archery event.If you want to know how an archery event should be done check the DOS game Summer Games.
It is excellent!

ChaoYun:
Athletics are games like Long Jump,sprint and anything having to do with running,marathon,Shot Put,etc.
In a few words,all the events that happen in a country''s Olympic Stadium.In Greek athletics are called "Stivos".

------
AncientCode
By Voodoo4

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement