🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

SetClientInfo

Started by
2 comments, last by Arngrim 23 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I''ve got a problem with IDirectPlay8Client::SetClientInfo. I have the following code snippet:

WCHAR temp[MAX_PATH];
	mbstowcs(temp,"PlayerName",MAX_PATH);

DPN_PLAYER_INFO playerInfo;
	ZeroMemory(&playerInfo, sizeof(DPN_PLAYER_INFO));

playerInfo.dwSize = sizeof(DPN_PLAYER_INFO);
	playerInfo.pwszName = temp;
	playerInfo.dwInfoFlags = DPNINFO_NAME;
	playerInfo.dwDataSize = 0;
	playerInfo.pvData = NULL;
	playerInfo.dwPlayerFlags = DPNPLAYER_LOCAL;

DPNHANDLE tempHandle=NULL;
	if (FAILED(g_pDPClient->SetClientInfo(&playerInfo, NULL, &tempHandle, DPNSETCLIENTINFO_SYNC)))
	{
		switch(hr)
		{
		case (DPNERR_NOCONNECTION):
		{
			Failed("DPNERR_NOCONNECTION");
			break;
		}
		case (DPNERR_INVALIDFLAGS):
		{
			Failed("DPNERR_INVALIDFLAGS");
			break;
		}
		case (DPNERR_INVALIDPARAM):
		{
			Failed("DPNERR_INVALIDPARAM");
			break;
		}
		case (DPNERR_PENDING):
		{
			Failed("DPNERR_PENDING");
			break;
		}
		default:
			{
				// This one fires
				Failed(NULL);
				break;
			}
		}
	}

The call to SetClientInfo fails, but I don''t get one of the possible error codes noted in the DX8 docs. What might be the problem here? I call SetClientInfo right before Connect, and everything else works fine. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Becasue you don''t assign hr anything?

//try thisif (FAILED(hr=g_pDPClient->SetClientInfo(&playerInfo, NULL, &tempHandle, DPNSETCLIENTINFO_SYNC)))  
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
FYI, this helpful little utility function:

DXTRACE_ERR(_T("SetClientInfo"), hr);
Mmmh... assigning a value to hr really makes a difference, doesn't it? *doh*

Well, although I now know more about the error (DPNERR_INVALIDFLAGS) I have to idea how to fix it. The flag I've used DPNSETCLIENTINFO_SYNC is the only one allowed by the function. I get the same error if I replace it by a plain 0.

I suppose the problem lies somewhere within the DPN_PLAYER_INFO structure ... Just where?

ADDENDUM: Ok, everything seems to work fine if I set playerInfo.dwPlayerFlags to 0... now I wonder: what is a host player? Isn't it the player created implicitly when a server starts a session? And what's a local player, if not a player playing on the server? Furthermore: How do I set up a local player, and under which circumstances might it be necessary to explicitly create a host player? I think the DX8 documentation is very vague on the whole DirectPlay8 component.

Thx in advance,
Arngrim

Edited by - Arngrim on November 23, 2000 9:07:25 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement