🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

online game statistics

Started by
3 comments, last by friedl_markus 23 years, 7 months ago
Hello ! I once again need your help for my dissertation! Does anybody know where I can get statistical information about online games on the market now?? (e.g. total available online games, connection time per session, biggest game community regarding member amount, webpages, balance men/women playing online games, sold retails, ...)! Thank you very much in advance! I was not able to find anything regarding that on the net! Markus
Markus FriedlProgrammer, Designer, Visionaire :)Vogelweiderstr. 7A-6020 InnsbruckAustria
Advertisement
Define online games.

Is it pure online games?
eg not battlenet but everquest (>300.000 users), ultima online (>240.000 users), 10six, asherons call ect

Does it include webgames and other simple free games?.
eg archmage - zone games and muds.

Is shooters included? (counter-strike - ut - quake)

And what about software that more ''world'' than game
eg active worlds and furcadia.

I understand "online game" as "persistent worlds" within this context ! The world chages over time when not logged on (by interaction with other players) and doesn''t start from scratch again everytime you log in again (i.e. Starcraft, Quake...)!

So flash, shockwave, ... would not be included!

It would mean EQ, UO, Asheron''s Call... but also MUDs.

Please help!
The data would be really important for my dissertation!

Thanks very much!
Markus FriedlProgrammer, Designer, Visionaire :)Vogelweiderstr. 7A-6020 InnsbruckAustria
quote: Original post by Kim Graef
Does it include webgames and other simple free games?.
eg archmage - zone games and muds.

Not all MUDs are free, not by a long shot.

quote: Original post by friedl_markus
Does anybody know where I can get statistical information about online games on the market now??

(e.g. total available online games, connection time per session, biggest game community regarding member amount, webpages, balance men/women playing online games, sold retails, ...)!

The problem is, much of that information is deemed ''sensitive'' byt the various administrations, and so, very difficult to come by.

www.mudconnector.com does have some useful info in its resources section. Other than that, I''d suggest that you contact various admins directly, explain what you are doing, and ask for their data.
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds
thanks very much!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement