Advertisement

graphic technology question

Started by June 22, 2005 12:45 PM
31 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 1 month ago
Quote: Original post by Michalson
Quote: Original post by meeshoo
Although dx9 is a requirement

Please people, stop deciding that DX9 is a requirement. Go back and read the contest page. It says "Suggested Minimum System Requirements". That means when you make your game, it should be able to run on the described hardware/software setup in order to be judged. If your game came in a retail box, you would find those specs (or lower) listed as the "minimum system requirements" to run.

Then shouldn't that be a Maximum not minimum system requirement. I think that's why people are confused.
They are the maximum "minimum system requirements".
Advertisement
I'll just change it to "Suggested System Requirements".

Admin for GameDev.net.

Quote: Original post by Nik02
The VS2005 beta is really not intended for production-level use. I wouldn't recommend using it for the 4e4 project as such, and neither would Microsoft.

Oh great... there goes my project out the window...

Can we still use it, if we like? I've already started, and it's in it, though I can convert to 6.0 if I have to, I'm not using .NET.
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command
Can we still use it, if we like? I've already started, and it's in it, though I can convert to 6.0 if I have to, I'm not using .NET.

If you can get your program to run on our machines without us needing to do anything special you're OK. Identify the issues skittleo was seeing and fix them, and you're fine.

However, we won't install the .NET 2.0 Framework on our machines if it's still in beta at the time. .NET code created with the VS2005 beta all uses the 2.0 framework, AFAIK, so if you plan to submit a .NET project with it then you're gambling that the framework will be released in time.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
However, we won't install the .NET 2.0 Framework on our machines if it's still in beta at the time. .NET code created with the VS2005 beta all uses the 2.0 framework, AFAIK, so if you plan to submit a .NET project with it then you're gambling that the framework will be released in time.

I won't be using .NET (I'll be using SDL), so it should be fine, then.
Advertisement
Um, question here - you're saying GeForce 2 min spec, but you're also saying minimum 1.1 shaders in response to "can we expect VS/PS 2.0".

As far as I know, GeForce2 doesn't support pixel shaders, only vertex shaders - I think GeForce3 was the first card to add pixel shading, wasn't it?

So can we not use pixel shaders at all, then? FFP only?
hi there. well, i suggest you make some degradation algorithm there. so use whatever new high technology, and do a check on the system when starting program, and for the same effects use different shaders, or FFP, depending on what system u are. That is how a lot of games are made, taking advantage of brand new technologies but running on a very large number of low-end configurations.

offtopic:
Speaking about the technologies, Geforce 7800 gtx is out and has incredible features(or so they say)
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Um, question here - you're saying GeForce 2 min spec, but you're also saying minimum 1.1 shaders in response to "can we expect VS/PS 2.0".

As far as I know, GeForce2 doesn't support pixel shaders, only vertex shaders - I think GeForce3 was the first card to add pixel shading, wasn't it?

So can we not use pixel shaders at all, then? FFP only?

Those specs are out of date. Consider it to be a Geforce3 min spec, excluding the GeForce 4 MX.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

well, i'm glad my thread resulted in a green light for us to pump in some serious technology :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement