🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Are older games allowed to take part?

Started by
9 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 1 month ago
I'm new to this forum so first of all: Greetings everyone! I wrote a game a few months ago that fits somehow in the requirements of this contest. The average gameplay situation looks like this: http://rochel.s83.deinprovider.de/temp/walkoverfun.jpg The sprites are from free resources and I wrote a converter for my game. I've never actually looked what's in there. But I have seen a Ninja and a robot by myself, but the other types are probably also in there, as well as a lot of other things :) Is it allowed to enter? Or are only new games allowed that have been specifically written for this contest? Oh it's freeware but not very well known. Marc
Advertisement
well, if it fits the rules I guess you can enter it. You won't get many points for just including robots and ninjas as sprites, with no more specific role in the game.

Plus, that's not really in the spirit of the competition, is it? I'd guess one of the reasons these elements were chosen were to make it as difficult as possible to reuse existing games.
From what I know of the rules you can enter more then one game, but you only get the highest prize that one of your games win.
So you could enter it and enter another if you felt like it I guess?
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
My guess is that a game whose RPNZ units just look like RPNZs, instead of actually acting like them, will not do well.
Ok, since most of your responses are negative, I won't enter it then.
I wouldn't necessarily throw away a perfeclty decent project if it does qualify. It's not like there is any sort of penalty for entering more than one thing.
It's not thrown away. Actually, that screenshot above was a fun version only, putting lots of different locking enemies in there. The project is still being developed, but without Pirates, Ninja, Zombies and Robots. Only soldiers and aliens :( Well that one alien type could be considered as a zombie, but ...
You can have a look at it and download & play it if you want => www.walkover.org
Quote: Original post by M a r c
It's not thrown away. Actually, that screenshot above was a fun version only, putting lots of different locking enemies in there. The project is still being developed, but without Pirates, Ninja, Zombies and Robots. Only soldiers and aliens :( Well that one alien type could be considered as a zombie, but ...
You can have a look at it and download & play it if you want => www.walkover.org

Marc you can enter more then game though! You can just enter this one and work on another entry too.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
While it does seem that just utilizing something you've already created, or slightly improving it (a la FaceHat... grr...) is questionable, is it really that different than using a free resource?
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by Avatar God
While it does seem that just utilizing something you've already created, or slightly improving it (a la FaceHat... grr...) is questionable, is it really that different than using a free resource?

Presumably you're not letting other people take what you created and convert it into an entry, while they could use the free resource. (Not to make any ruling either way on this, just pointing out the difference).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement