🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E4] Is Realm Crafter Engine Allowed?

Started by
36 comments, last by SiCrane 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote: Original post by paulecoyote
Quote: Original post by superpig
It's also an avenue for your competitors to interfere with your entry, by pointing undesirable elements at your game.

Wow, you are expecting some real dirtbags to enter in to this competition huh [wink]

I think, he is just highly competitive. I don't expect to win. I just want to enter. Doing it MMO is just for fun.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
Advertisement
Fair enough. Go ahead then. We won't allow submission of the server software as part of your entry though - you have to run your own server.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I wouldn't expect GameDev to host the server. Maybe the networking is peer to peer. Haven't seen the code yet.
Quote: Original post by tgraupmann
I wouldn't expect GameDev to host the server. Maybe the networking is peer to peer. Haven't seen the code yet.

lol that sums it up :)
Quote: Original post by paulecoyote
Quote: Original post by superpig
It's also an avenue for your competitors to interfere with your entry, by pointing undesirable elements at your game.

Wow, you are expecting some real dirtbags to enter in to this competition huh [wink]

Doesn't have to be in the competion. GameDev is large enough that there are more then one (banned) trolls who would love to mess with things for the sake of ruining a random persons chance of winning. A MMORPG gives them a large and anonymous enough environment to do so.

The same might be said of any multiplayer/internet aware game - make sure that dedicated trolls can't make the game bad for everyone, even if it's only for a short amount of time (the judging period is not very long, especially on the level of judging individual entries. If a troll can make your game seem like garbage for 1 hour while a judge is viewing, it could ruin your score). Don't rely on patches and GMs to keep your game good, both have a response time that's too long when compared to how long a judge is actually going to be playing.
There are loads of things you can do to protect an MMO from fraud. First of all keep a list of banned trolls. Second, do a trace on every connection and make sure the bot is who it claims to be.
There are loads of things you can do to protect an MMO from fraud. First of all keep a list of banned trolls. Second, do a trace on every connection and make sure the bot is who it claims to be.

Except the fact he is banking on using some WSIWYG MMO maker so probably couldn't implement this. Also making an MMOG in what.. 3 months? and than adding all these prevention systems on top of that.

Wow give me a call you have a job lol :)
I've done lots of releases in 6-8 week development cycles. And that included testing. Piece of cake.
lol

The first "M" in "MMORPG" implies that peer-to-peer is not an option.

I would suggest switching to a MORPG and choosing a finished engine that supports peer-to-peer networking from those listed at DevMaster's Game and Graphics Engines Database.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement