Advertisement

Which edition to get?

Started by July 07, 2005 08:15 PM
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
I want know your advice, I've started to get involved in openGL programming and heard "OpenGL Programming Guide: Redbook" is the way to go for beginners. However, there are four editions out and I'm living on a budget. My question is, is there a significant difference between the editions? By significant difference, I mean, are there any crucial topics in the later editions, that are not in the earlier editions, that a newbie like me should know about. I'd be appreciated with your feed back.
Last time I checked both the Red Book and the Blue book (at least earlier versions) were freely available online. In the OpenGL section of our articles section there should be links to both.
Advertisement
I'm looking forward to answering your question about what the differences are, but near the bottom of this this link you can read online (or download) the red book (1.1) and the blue book (1.0 I think).

If anyone has links for more recent editions, that would be awesome.
Brianmiserere nostri Domine miserere nostri
Okay..., but that doesn't answer my question.

I want to know if they're any "significant differences" between Redbook 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4, because I want to buy the book on Ebay. I want to know that I'm getting the same stuff 1.3 without missing out on something important in 1.4.

See what I mean, so I'm asking anyone who has read the books to tell me if its worth to spend the extra cash on 1.4 or save my buck and go with 1.3 or 1.2.
I would go for the latest. There are, as with any book, many errors that are corrected, plus the latest version is the most up to date. IMHO, its the wrong place to save 2 bucks.
I think if you're just starting out you'll be fine with the earlier versions, which you can invariably pick up really cheaply at bookstores (sometimes even in the bargain bins!) - later revisions include sections on the (increasingly esoteric) OpenGL extensions, which will only serve to confuse you while you learn...

In combination with the tuts on this (great, BTW) site, you'll get along just fine with the earlier versions - and like somebody pointed out, they're available for free online!

J.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement