🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GUI Images? (Buttons, etc)

Started by
16 comments, last by sirGustav 19 years ago
Hey, does anyone know a good resource for GUI images? I just finished the first stages of my GUI/input system, and I'd like to banish the programmer art to a far place before I put a screenshot up. I'm mainly looking for images of buttons, with both the standard and pressed images. I've got one nice looking one so far, but I've had difficulty finding any others.
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Advertisement
Why not grabing Windows/Linux's ones with Paint/GIMP ? It's what I done.
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
Quote: Original post by iliak
Why not grabing Windows/Linux's ones with Paint/GIMP ? It's what I done.

Thats an option, but it seems like actually using Windows buttons would do a lot to hurt the "Look and Feel" of a game. You are playing a game, not filling in a spreadsheet.
Why not create your own? After all, you've given the game a unique look (even if you didn't mean to, it's unavoidable), so why use someone else's graphics? They very likely won't fit in.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
I'm a very bad artists, but I did figure out how I can make this work. I think this will be a first for whiteboard drawn and scanned interfaces o_O... and if anybody enters them for the contest they so copied me!

Anyway, I can't possibly create the amount of art resources I need to get this done. I'm not an artist, and just making the game is going to take a lot by itself. Luckily there are a lot of resources available see the Free Resource thread). I was just hoping there were already some nice GUI graphics too.
Sure, use somebody else's textures or what not, but for the actual interface, create your own. If your paint program (Photoshop, PSP, GIMP, whatever) supports layers and vectors, the process of creating each button and what not becomes very streamlined. You just have to create an initial design, then add a layer for each caption/icon/whatever that goes on the base design.

For instance (I don't know if I explained this well, and forgive my lack of ASCII art skills)
Here is the base design for a button. It's on layer 1:
[][][][][][][][][][]              [][]              []  []              []  [][][][][][][][][]

Then for the "NEW GAME" button, add a layer (Layer 2, or something) with this:
     NEW GAME

The result is:
[][][][][][][][][][]              [][]   NEW GAME   []  []              []  [][][][][][][][][]

Then, for each new caption, make the previous text layer invisible, add the new caption, and save. Then repeat.

I find this really helpful to not only create the graphics fast, but also to give the game a consistent feel.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
Sure, I get that part. It is just making that initial base design, and also makigna nice matching set of "idle" and "pressed" bases so that it looks nice. The main interface throughout my game is going to be menu based, so I'm probably going to have to make a good number of buttons. Luckily, I made my control system so that it can compose the buttons (base+text/image) at run time, so I just have to get a few working bases.

Since my game is based in an office I decided that the menus would be whiteboards, where each button is actually a scribble on the whiteboard. That way I can just take an actual whiteboard and draw what I want, and it will look "good" (I hope). If it works out well, the only other button style I will probably need is just a circular one, and I can handle making those.
Be careful to make sure that the images you use are ones that you can use legally.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by superpig
Be careful to make sure that the images you use are ones that you can use legally.

There wouldn't be any legal ramifications to actually scanning a whiteboard I own, would there? If there are,, I guess I'll just run to the hardware store and make my own, but it would seem kind of silly for it to be illegal to just scan the one I have.
Quote: Original post by intrest86
There wouldn't be any legal ramifications to actually scanning a whiteboard I own, would there? If there are,, I guess I'll just run to the hardware store and make my own, but it would seem kind of silly for it to be illegal to just scan the one I have.

Shouldn't be any problems at all there, although if there's happens to be a trademarked logo of the company that made it in one corner you may want to either not include or edit out that.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement