🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

character design

Started by
0 comments, last by sunandshadow 23 years, 6 months ago
So how does everyone go about doing the art side of character design? I''ve heard of finding faces in magazines, choosing different types of eyes and other facial features according to which personality traits they''re supposed to symbolize (e.g. eyes with no pupils for a character who is mysterious and/or lacks empathy, full lips for a character who is passionate), starting with a drawing of someone you know, correcting their, faults, then eggsadgerating them, and many other methods. What does everyone here do?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
hiya,

Depends really, most of the time I just create the character straight up, very rare to I use ref: material when deciding the look of a character/image.

If you are inspired by a movie star/character, then I would look to examine what makes that character work rather than "source" from it.

Hope this helps...

I''m just done a creature, and that was designed from scratch without ref material.

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement