🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Animation

Started by
3 comments, last by evangelion_unit03 23 years, 6 months ago
I have a project where I have to create a 3D animation showing a bus and traffic. Is there any good 3D modeling programs out there for Windows that will allow me to make an animation before October 2001 and be able to upgrade to possible simulations/game graphics later on? Or are they two different animals? Help is appreciated... thanks in advance.
Advertisement
It terms of getting it done before Oct 1001, I would suggest Lightwave (or Inspire 3D, the lite version of Lightwave, which is just as adequate for game dev IMO, and a lot cheaper). This program is just so quick and easy to learn and use.

I don''t know about the simulations/game graphics you mention for later on. I''m guessing you mean making in-game 3d models, in which case I''ve heard 3D Studio Max is better for that kind of thing.

But for doing pre-rendered stuff quickly and easily I can definitely recommend Lightwave.
Thanks for the info. I went to their website and think that will do the job nicely. Do you know if the models created in that will work in 3D Studio MAX later on because that seems to be the ''standard'' everybody uses these days? Once again, thanks and I''ll see where I can get a copy of this. It looks to be simple and will allow me to get a product out in time.
I''m not sure about importing into 3DS Max, I sent someone a file from Inspire 3D once that they tried to load into 3DS Max but the polygons were all inside out...

I can''t remember if I sent it to him in LW format or DXF though.

I don''t know if there''s any kind of utility you can get to convert between file types. You would expect there to be one somewhere, but I can''t remember seeing one anywhere.
Ok, thanks. I told my boss that I need to get Lightwave for now, and then get 3DS later on if he wants to make graphics for simulation tools since he doesn''t want to shell out for the SGI machines. I''ll cross the bridge of converting when I reach there in a year or so. Thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement