🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's in a name?

Started by
33 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 5 months ago
Fact is, it''s not prose, it''s not film, it''s not theatre. It''s something else. We don''t even know what to call it. We can''t just call it a "game" because that refers to something else entirely, something that isn''t even a medium. Pac-man is a game. These are different. It tells a story, and is therefore a narrative medium. But it does this in a way that cannot be compared to any other media! It can be used with text, or with images... even live actors, as I''ve heard of some bizzarre stage experiments like this. The user affects the progress and perhaps the outcome of the story. WHAT DO WE CALL IT?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Now, this is actually a reply to another thread, but while I was proofreading it I noticed that it deserves it''s very own.

I HATE people who think "Oh, it''s not really an RPG because you don''t play a role... what should we call it instead?" Mind you, I AM one of these people, but that can''t stop me from hating it. It''s pretentious crap. But oh well.

It''s gotta happen. There''s this New Thing (tm) being birthed, and we''re the mid-wives. It''s being born through what we call "video games", but it''s hardly that. It''s not on video and they are hardly games. Not games, you say? Yes. Not games. The purpose of a game is to attempt to win. If my hunch is correct, when the dust settles were going to be playing games where we fail intentionally, because we feel like it. Because there will be consequences to that failure, and it will lead to a greater success.

Try pulling that off with monopoly.

To fight the failure would be to fight the sense of false reality, to ruin the story. This will not be something considered the hobby of males aged 13 to 25. This will gradually become something accepted. Hell, something taught in school.

So what''s in a name? Why all this trouble? What the hell do you name a new medium for narrative? Beats the f*ck outta me, but I think we should try.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
It has a name. It''s called a "Game". It''s also termed "Entertainment". But I think I see what you''re grasping at, and due to the variety of sub-categories in the genre you cannot name, it would be impossible to generalise.
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Purposeful failure...

Pinky, are you thinking what I''m thinking?

Brewster''s Millions, the MMORPG!
Each player gets a million dollars and tries to give it away. The only thing is, there are no NPCs! You have to come up with schemes to force your money on the other *players*.

Add a few procedural or structural rules and away you go! Instead of PK you get people reverse-mugging you, stuffing your clothing full of large bills!

More to the point of the thread, why is a (new) name so important?

A name only draws the boundaries for future generations to fight over (the RPG wars). "Game" is sufficient for me.
Call it an interactive book. It sounds like marketing BS, but it''s probably the best description you can get, because the story is like a book, but it''s a game.
What is it?
Interactive Entertainment.

What is it up against?
Books, films, music.
Note that for most films, there''s usually both a book and a soundtrack, so they aren''t mutually exclusive.

What do we call it?
Well, it''s got to fit in that line of three up there.
One word, most likely. Games? Nah, that does not have the right implications at all.
Interactive Movie, Interactive Book, Interactive Music?. Heh, all two words, and they always link it to just one of the other media.

There''s no real word for it. You could invent one, but would it work?
It''s an Interactivity! . Watch the marketing people fleeing in terror. Nope, not a good name.
Multimedia? Nope, tried that for CD-ROM pixelated crap movies, and has a strong bad connotation because of the early mess-ups. Doesn''t mention the core strength either.

Not easy, this naming business.
We''ve got a baby here, but no baby-names.

I personally like Interactive Entertainment best. Just imagine if they applied the same principles that birthed the word Movie to this branch of business though. An Interacty? An Acty? Ugh. Doesn''t sound right

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
*ahem*

"Intertainment" anyone?

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Intertainment isn''t bad! It''s definately possible as a word to indicate the sector. But what to call a single instance of this industry? You can''t say "That was a good Intertainment", or can you?

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Gameatainment
Hehe.... my 2 pesetas.

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
www.bhpro.com
simon@bhpro.com
||--------------------------||
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement