🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's in a name?

Started by
33 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 5 months ago
More names:
Reactive Immersion,
or possibly a Remersion.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Advertisement
Well, since we can''t really sum it up in one word, I''m thinking along the lines of an acronym that you can pronounce without sounding like a doofus. Think NASA, SCUMM, WINE, etc. Something that will express the basic principle of our new medium but can still be referred to using one word, whether you know the acronym''s definition or not...

caste: computer aided simulation of total experience (uhh...from latin ''castus'' meaning pure, free of faults...)
gipt: "game with script" (sounds pretty gimp though, huh?)
sope: simulated observed and played experience (soap is clean)
sucre: scripted user-controlled reactive entertainment (I think sucre is sweet or sugar in some other language also)

im sure there are some better acronyms out there...

anthalaris.8k.com
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
SMEARS: Simulated Multimedia Experience with Abstract Reactive Supplication

ORIN: Obstructed Reactive/Interactive Narrative

ROSE: Reactive Obstructed Simulated Experience

In any case, I think the word "obstructed" is important in describing the fact that all games have challenges that must be overcome. This usually takes the form of puzzles or monsters. If you can think of a better word, share it.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

" Obfuscated "

Sums most games up nicely.

[EDIT] Oops. Lack of sleep makes for speaking bad England.

Edited by - morfe on December 16, 2000 5:16:53 AM
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Landfish,

I think it''s pretty short sighted to say that the "purpose of a game is to win." There are a lot of cultures (especially African) where many of their games do not involve winners or losers. I would say that the purpose of a game is play.
In the mathematical definition of Game Playing (as in Game Theory), the purpose of a game is indeed to win, or rather to maximise the output of a success function. Landfish is not wrong in stating this.
In popular use, the word Game means something broader, though in most if not all games, you''ll still see there''s an element of competition, and thus also an element of being better than the other guy.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Personally I dont think games should be made for one genre. Some of the best games Ive played have a mix of different genres like in FF7 when you go to the arcade and play the arcade games. When you make a game for a specific genre your limiting your game. Why not make a rpg with a battle arena in it that is like Tekken?

Deus Ex is one of the best examples. Its a first person shooter yet has rpg elements in it. You can pick up just about anything and you can still blast people with a rocket launcher.

OoMMMoO
quote: Original post by OoMMMoO

Personally I dont think games should be made for one genre. Some of the best games Ive played have a mix of different genres like in FF7 when you go to the arcade and play the arcade games. When you make a game for a specific genre your limiting your game. Why not make a rpg with a battle arena in it that is like Tekken?

Deus Ex is one of the best examples. Its a first person shooter yet has rpg elements in it. You can pick up just about anything and you can still blast people with a rocket launcher.

OoMMMoO

Yes mixing elements is great. Although, we have to make sure that the elements work well together. It''s obvious, but it''s still worth mentioning.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I''m beginning to think we''re stuck with "games". Oh well. You call a genre what it evolved out of, right?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
don''t worry if we acheive the art form we are talking about
some outsider will call it something and we''ll be stuck with it forever and we''ll find ourselves back here ,all,like
"this is an outrage!"

on the other hand if we are inventors and this is an invention we could put a Latin or Greek tag on it...

polygama? (puh-lig-E-ma)?
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement