🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to write for games

Started by
2 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 2 months ago
Im a programmer and artist but also have alot of ideas for a really good rpg story line that I plan on developing and was wondering how do you go about writing a game story and script? Like how do you start? Do you just write it like you write a novel? Or do you write it like a movie script? Do you have seperate pages describing characters and environments? Please help
Advertisement
Novel-style writing isn''t terribly well suited to games. Screenplay format''s probably your best bet.

I''d suggest you pick of Screenplay by Syd Field or some similar guide. Organize the story scene by scene on 3x5 cards. Read a lot of books. Good luck.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
RPG''s to me were always based on stories. I always found it easier to write stories, and then base the game on it. And then translate it to dialect, since everything that happens in most RPG''s come threw communications.

But you think you should just throw together a movie script to start it out? How do you throw in the setting, and the missions, and that type of stuff in movie scripts?

Pindergust Lightheart
Tribes/starcraft: MASTER
Clan Leader: ~Young Blood~

-=you only get 1 chance, make life count=-
Pindergust LightheartTribes/starcraft: MASTERClan Leader: ~Young Blood~-=you only get 1 chance, make life count=-
Ever do AD&D? If you''ve ever been DM, then the story design is easy enough to do the same way.

Otherwise, write it out as a novel in note form, but think about alternative routes the story could take, and things that you might try if you were the main protagonist. Resolve the outcomes of these divergent paths, but try to make the overall story the same.

If you are feeling ambitious you can try to make it open ended, so that player choices take the story down completely different avenues. It is hard enough to have two plots, the choice of which is determined by player decisions at key points of the game. I should point out that NO game I have ever heard of has ever pull this off without ruining the game.

--------------------------------------
Why run? You''''ll only die tired.
--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------Why run? You''ll only die tired.--------------------------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement