🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Whats sucks about Theif

Started by
16 comments, last by Andrew Russell 23 years, 6 months ago
There is one thing that realy annoys me about this game: You are there to steel things, and sneek around. It''s a FPS (first person sneeker) isn''t it? Why are there so many parts of this game where you must do outright battle with undead things and those spiders and so on. That''s the only problem with this game, It detracts from its genere. When I play I usualy just skip those levels, and play levels like Bafford''s Manor, Assasions (sp?), The one after that (forget the name). This realy puts a bad mark on an otherwise great game. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Web site coming soon...
Advertisement
You may be there to steal and sneak, but any thief will tell you that there is always the possibility for conflict. Even if you are going to scope an abandoned house, there will alwys be potential dangers in the forms of spiders, snakes and other animals, not to mention malevolent spirits.

In the setting the game is posed in, the skill of the thief is tested by stealing items from Lords, who are usually protected by a small force and thus, if you''re not carfeul, you may have to fight them.

It is possible, however, to complete the game and avoid any conflict. You just need to be able to think like a thief.
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
whew! I saw the title and thought I'd have to start smacking people around...

I do have to agree with you. The attenion to detail of the AI was the game's most important asset. The spiders & zombies were not as smart as the guards...well...because they're spiders & zombies. The guards were more fun because you could experience more of the nice AI.

Edited by - Nazrix on December 14, 2000 2:16:29 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Problem noted (by the now defunct Looking Glass, that is). I read in a post mortem somewhere that they thought the monster levels were a mistake, because they changed the overall feel of the game.

Did the sequel fix this, btw?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
In any RPG these days the theif doesn''t do theify things. I think it''s because of a lack of free ability in the RPG. I haven''t played Theif in particular, but in most RPGs I have played, whatever you decide to be: your goal is to kill the dragon. Why do I have to meet that goal if I want to be a dagger-toting low-life scum?!?? Unless of course...the dragon''s got a lot of gold...but then: why not be able to get a group of OTHER people to go get the gold and the steal from them if they succeed?
Nitpicking: its THIEF not theif.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
The thing about Thief (i before e except after c) is that it''s not a full-blown typical RPG. The character is not created by the player, the character is pre-made. The beauty of Thief is that it doesn''t lead the player to believe that he has more divergence than he has.

The player can interact with the world to complete goals, but the game doesn''t pretend that there''s any more divergence than there actually is as some RPGs do.

This goes back to what Wav said once about the trap of realistic graphics deceiving the player into thinking that they can do more than they actually can because of the realism.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by Andrew Russell

There is one thing that realy annoys me about this game:

You are there to steel things, and sneek around. It''s a FPS (first person sneeker) isn''t it? Why are there so many parts of this game where you must do outright battle with undead things and those spiders and so on.

Sorry, but I have to totally disagree with you here. This has been discussed to death on the Through The Looking Glass forums, too.

Firstly, it is not a ''first person sneaker''. It is a game called Thief: The Dark Project. Don''t let some marketing term define the gameplay. Even so, just because there are monsters, doesn''t mean you can''t sneak.

Secondly, the "The Dark Project" part of the name is just as important, if not more so, than the "Thief" part. The game was originally called The Dark Project, and the Thief prefix was added later, presumably to give a more obvious clue as to what the gameplay involved - not to imply some sort of limitation upon it.

Thirdly, there are very very few parts of the game where you absolutely have to fight anything. Why on earth people get into the mindset of thinking you can''t use stealth to defeat monsters, I don''t know. Let''s look at this in a little more detail:

1) you can run faster than pretty much any monster. Since few of them have ranged attacks, you can lure them into a corner, and run past them, or lure them to one entrance before running off to enter via another entrance, or so on. This principle goes just as well for ''monsters'' as it does for guards.

2) You can hide in the shadows from any monster. Zombies, Burricks, Spiders, etc etc, are exactly the same as humans in that they can''t see you in the darkness. I used this to great effect in the level "Down In The Bonehoard". Instead of using my water arrows with holy water to kill zombies (as I assume you are doing), I used them to extinguish the torches in the areas I would have to ''work'' a lot, thus meaning I could easily slip by the odd zombie or 4.

3) Some monsters have other weaknesses. For example, the Burrick is deaf, so as long as you are careful to remain out of sight, there is little reason why you will end up in battle with one.

4) Enemies that don''t know you exist take much more damage from a weapon. So, if you were careful not to be spotted beforehand, you can kill most foes, human or otherwise, with a single arrow. This avoids "outright battle" in most cases.

5) You can physically evade many monsters. Spider troubles? Climb on a convenient crate or ledge and shoot arrows at it at your leisure. Whether you still consider this ''outright battle'' I don''t know. Personally I consider it to be just another application of the standard Thief concept: outhink and outmanouevre your opponents.

It is quite possible for a good player to complete Thief 1 fighting less than 10 battles toe-to-toe in total. Some have completed the game without dealing any damage whatsoever, excluding the single points of damage inflicted when knocking out foes for an objective. If you are finding yourself doing too much fighting, you''re just not good enough

And Wavinator: yes, LGS did recognise this "problem". And they addressed it in Thief 2, at the expense of making the game somewhat less interesting and varied. The monsters were largely replaced by mechanical robots in most levels. But as my points above should imply, generally the complaints about the presence of monsters were mainly from people who found the zombies too hard as they couldn''t kill them easily enough The ''original'' feel of the game couldn''t work without monsters, due to the plotline. I think the actual case was that many players felt that the monsters detracted from the feeling of being a Thief. Personally, I view the game as being more about ''stealth'' than about ''thieving'', and stealth is just as important on the monster levels as it is on the human ones.

Kylotan, who will defend Thief or Ultima 7 to the death
Kylotan,
Yes, but couldn't the zombies smell you? I thought I read this somewhere and it seemed that way as I was playing.

Anyway, beyond the actually mechanics of the game, I still feel that they hindered the feel of Thief. I liked the way the human guards went about their business when they didn't see me. I liked the way they'd clear their throats and sing to themselves and they really seemed alive. That was the beauty of Thief. Hell, I'd say that was even more important than the actually sneaking aspect although that was essential to the game as well obviously. The zombies just kinda laid there and it just wasn't as interesting IMO.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.

Edited by - Nazrix on December 14, 2000 6:48:54 PM
Remember kids if you have nothing to say but feel like correcting someone and being an ass. Then by all means you should go for it because god knows people might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel. Isn’t that right?

[Edit by Mad Keith: And HAH, I am the moderator here, so I do whatever I like. That includes modifying ANYONE's messages as you can see. I happen to know that really obvious spelling errors tend to lead to grammar-contests, and since I'm the one in charge, I responded to it. Nobody dares flame me back openly, so it simply brings out the error, before anyone else starts moaning about it. It just stops needless posting.

As for you, well, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to completely ignore it if you want to be an arse about it.

I SAID in my post that I was nitpicking, and I doubt that anyone took that as a personal attack.
]

Edited by - MadKeithV on December 15, 2000 3:28:47 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement