🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Idea

Started by
2 comments, last by Caffeine 23 years, 6 months ago
I know im probably going to be called a hypocrit after encouraging originality so much.. Anyhow I'll take the foot out of my mouth and suggest this: I'm sure a good deal of you have seen the show "Battle Bots". I think this would make an excellent computer game. I havn't seen any games like it before, except maybe mech games, but thats kinda different. Custom arenas and bots... The robots would be controlled just like real remote controlled cars... Plus gives you the option of stuff you could never do on the show like really high powered traps... I could see something like that being real big if implemented right. Edited by - Caffeine on 12/17/00 5:32:56 AM
Advertisement
I forget the name, but there was a robotics game before, but instead of controlling them you programmed them to fight.

~WarDekar
There were games like this in the past, i beleive origin created one, and there were a few for the consoles. The basic drawback with these games back then was finding opponents and the time/effort vs payoff (combat). Most of them had primitive graphics and combat wasn''t very exciting. Also its alot of work to program anything as complex as battling robots which could win. If you were an adept programmer, and had the time you could program a kick ass robot but then how fun would it be for the other guys who dont have that ability and time? They would lose every match against the killer robot. Perhaps you could encourage some sort of open source mentality, so the community can learn from the winning bots.

Even then i dont think this idea as it is, will be anymore popular than the numerous other similar attempts. However if you change the slant of the game from one of combat to a more constructive theme it might work.

Good Luck

-ddn
mindrover.com

everyone must play this game. Download the demo right now, I insist.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement