🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding a server?

Started by
7 comments, last by Peter Svensson 23 years, 6 months ago
Hi! Does anyone know how my client program can find a server on a wan or lan? Any ideas? //Peter - Thanx!
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Peter Svensson

Hi!

Does anyone know how my client program can find a server on a wan or lan? Any ideas?

//Peter - Thanx!

What type of client are you using?

I used DPlay SimpleConnect demo source and I got it to work no problem with my project.

Ben
Hi again...

Sorry.... im using winsock...

// Cheers!
Your question is too vague to answer; can you provide any more details of what you''re really trying to do?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Ok, here we go again...

I have made a server and a client. The client should not need to know the address of the server (and preferbly not the port) to connect to it. I need somthing like gamespy or somthing similar. Or like in quake III, or any other game where you can search for servers.

So when the client app is launched it should try to find avaialable servers on internet or a lan without knowing the address'' of the servers in advance.

Does Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

// Peter...
Quake3 uses a central server however Quake1''s server searching code confuses me.

---------------------------
"the only thing I ask, is that if my games get pirated, people must do a good job of it." - Erick
So add a "GameSpy IP address:port" (or "GameSpy domain name:port") value to each client, so that when they launch, if there is an internet connection available, they always connect to the GameSpy lobby server.

Then, if new sessions become available, if old sessions drop off, or if session changes are made, you update these to each client that requests an update.

This way the client is only searching ONE location (like a domain name -- http://www.petersvennsongames.com -- so that even the IP needn''t be static, and will resolve to a working IP each connection attempt) and the client won''t need to be patched too often with connection data.

Or so says me...

MatrixCubed
http://MatrixCubed.org
As far as I know, UT, tribes, and Quake all use a central server (or servers) to let the client find servers. When a sever is launched, it registers itself on the master server. Than when a client is launched, it re-pings all servers (yeah thats a nightmare on slow computers and connections) and than you can rearrange them from low-high ping, map, etc. And than you just select a server and the master server has already providied the information for it so you just connect using the IP# and port #.
So just make a master server program, a server program, and a client program. Master is a database, server registers to master, and client pulls data from master. Hope you understand it

||--------------------------||
Black Hole Productions
www.bhpro.com
simon@bhpro.com
||--------------------------||
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
Look into UDP broadcasting and let the server broadcast to the LAN about it''s existance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement