Advertisement

NEHE Windows OpenGL tutorial (#1) - Problems with crashing

Started by
2 comments, last by MisterZimbu 18 years, 11 months ago
The code provided in the tutorial works fine; that's not the problem. The problem is if *I* write code that crashes, it locks up my entire computer instead of popping up an error and closing like other programs. Everything still seems to be running; Winamp will continue to play in the background and all, and I can move the mouse pointer around, but the computer won't respond to clicks/keyboard input. CTRL-ALT-DEL will still pop up the task manager, but it won't respond to anything I do within it. This happens with both full-screen and windowed modes. Are there any quick changes I can make to the tutorial code so it doesn't do this? I can't even debug the rest of my code until this part is fixed. The only changes I have been making have been to the displayGl function. Thanks.
It should be pretty much impossible to accidently write code that crashes your entire system if you're using Windows 2000/XP. It's possible there's a problem with your graphics driver/hardware, ensure you're using the latest drivers. Are you running the executable directly or from inside a debugger (e.g. the visual studio one). What code exactly is causing your whole system to crash?
Advertisement
I don't think I'm actually writing code myself that completely breaks and crashes the computer, nor do I think that the code I'm writing myself is actually doing it. I'm thinking that some of the code in the tutorial, either on its own or when buggy code is put on top of it, has the side effect of locking out input to other applications.

I'm running it in the Visual Studio IDE, with debugging on. However, I can't actually get at the debug information because I lock up when it crashes. I'll try setting a breakpoint and see if it's handled differently.
Ok, well it wasn't a problem with the code, either. I noticed something else crashed and did the same thing. I did a bit of snooping around my computer and think the culprit was the Dr. Watson crash reporting.

I reinstalled Windows (I was overdue for a reformat anyway) and it seems to be in working order again.

Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement