🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can you make a game popular ??

Started by
9 comments, last by C3ooo 23 years, 6 months ago
what kind of game are popular ?? 2D ? 3D ?? Also websites .... Flash ? Movies ?? Help me out there please..
Not busy ?? visit http://everything.at/bs
Advertisement
Probably some of the most popular games are 2d with 3d pre-rendered graphics (like Diablo and stuff). It''s not necessarily the 2d or 3d that makes the game popular, but they do add icing on the cake, so to speak, to an already good game.

As far as websites, don''t go to overboard on fancy multimedia (ala flash, shockwave). If you do have flash movies or something, always give the user the option to skip, they''ll appreciate it.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
From what I''ve seen, the best things to do are:

1) Make the game good (easier said than done ) while keeping it small, so it''s an attractive download.
2) Advertise on the Lounge. Screenshots are nice.

That should do the trick

Visit my site!
I believe it is not enough (sadly) to make a good game, with cool features etc. nowadays. One of the first things people look for is graphics - so I guess this would have to be a major point for making a game popular (even before its released).

If you want your game to be known, there is another thing you have to do: get game magazines review(preview) your game, otherwise no-one will know that it exists!

For a professional game there is no excuse for bad graphics!

For how long players want to play a game - that is more related to gameplay. There is were good games differ from real great ones! After having caught the eye of the customer, they have to keep him/her interested for a long time (multiplayer etc.)!

------------------------------
www.BadEntertainment.net

------------------------------

There are only 10 kinds of people: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Rollercoaster Tycoon is not 3d and that was a popular game...

"Nasa''''s robot crashed on mars,
but here we trash it, on RobotWars!"

-Sir Manfred
Unemployed 3d artist. Looking for work!Homepage: www.FredianArt.tk
Ahh, if only the "Average Joe" of people would look at the game play, and not the pritty graphics.

Damn it''s a shame we don''t live in a perfict world

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Web site coming soon...
The really average joe does look at gameplay, and not graphics. Regardless of all the Quake-like hype that''s around, it''s still games like "Who wants to be a millionaire" that really outsell everything else in the business.

However, most game designers don''t consider these "real" games because they are simple concepts that rely on marketing and brand awareness.

People like simple games that they can recognise. Pokemon is more popular than Unreal.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by MadKeithV

People like simple games that they can recognise. Pokemon is more popular than Unreal.

I wrote a game called "Pokemon Hunter" - that could be a smash hit if only it weren''t a lawsuit waiting to happen

MadKeithV is right: the average computer user doesn''t play games like Quake3, because it''s simply too difficult. I''ve seen this all too often: you try to talk them into Q3A and instead they ask for Tetris.

If you want to make a popular game, you need to think about your target audience first. Average Joe prefers his games small, simple, and even cheap. I know lots of people who buy those CDs full of (e.g.) Tetris clones for $5. If they can get 50 games for $5, why would they spend $40 on Quake?

Average Joe''s kids, however, are by comparison nothing less than hardcore gamers. They''re the ones nagging Santa for a GeForce2 so they can play high-profile games like Quake. These guys fall into the same category as the more technically savvy gamers like ourselves. And like grbrg hinted: these people do not tolerate mistakes!

- Tom
Tom Nuydens delphi3d@gamedeveloper.org www.gamedeveloper.org/delphi3d
quote: Original post by delphi3d
Average Joe''s kids, however, are by comparison nothing less than hardcore gamers. They''re the ones nagging Santa for a GeForce2 so they can play high-profile games like Quake. These guys fall into the same category as the more technically savvy gamers like ourselves. And like grbrg hinted: these people do not tolerate mistakes!

- Tom

One thing that''s important to remember is that although kids are the ones that are hard-core gamers now that''s only because games are such a new medium. 20 years from now when most of us are in our mid 30s,40s, or even 50s then that age group could be hard=core gamers as much as the younger kids are then.

I know that you were just talking about the current way things are, but it''s easy to forget what a new medium games are...especially the "hard-core" games like Quake and such.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

----------------------------
Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
In the words of the great god Tim Sweeney...
"Make Cool Shit"

This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement