🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a simple question

Started by
17 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 9 months ago
does the 4 elements contest ban any game that is created with a point and click software (like game maker)?
Advertisement
I think it is ok because there was a conversation like this not long ago:

Some random person: Will we get bonus points for including source code?

The mod/guy in charge: Probably not, because it would be unfair for the people who use game makers taht dont have source code.

So I think one can assume that you can.

BTW, are you just starting NOW?
no. i started making a 3d tactical espionage action game with blitz3d late september and now i'm not sure if i'll be able to make the deadline (using blitz3d).
Does the game have to be in 3d? Or can it be 2d as well?
2D is fine.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Can I upload a zipped folder opposed to writing an installer for the game?
If you want, but consider which of the two gives the better user experience.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I wouldn't be too unimpressed with a self-extracting .zip executable - this is quite common for independent games I've seen.

You guys reckon the same, or do I need an actual installer program. Anything is better than manually extracting a .zip!
I find Inno Setup is very simple and quick to use, that is, if your program is for windows.

And its free.
Quote: Original post by d000hg
I wouldn't be too unimpressed with a self-extracting .zip executable - this is quite common for independent games I've seen.

It's also quite common for independent games to be poorly polished and marketed, and to make very little money. [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement