🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Assertion hit

Started by
9 comments, last by Deyja 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi there and congrats on AngelScript. Very nice work :) I 've been evaluating it the last couple of days and, although doumentation is lacking, I was able to add it in my project and actually get it working (yay!). But I 'm having a problem now, that I don't seem to be able to solve by myself. I have bound this member function at some point:

GuiButton* Gui::AddButton(const std::string& text, const Vector2& pos, const Vector2& size);
// bound using:
engine->RegisterObjectMethod("Gui", "GuiButton& AddButton(const string& in, const Vector2& in, const Vector2& in)", asMETHOD(Gui, AddButton), asCALL_THISCALL);
// called from script:
GuiButton@ btn = GUI.AddButton("Hello world 3!", Vector2(200, 50), Vector2(100, 50));

[EDIT] I forgot to tell you what this function is doing :p When called, it creates a GuiButton object on the heap, adds it in an internal list and returns it as a result. Pretty basic. [/EDIT] If I run the script like this (i.e. asking for a GuiButton handle), I get this assertion:

/as_compiler.cpp:342: void asCCompiler::CompileStatementBlock(asCScriptNode*, bool, bool*, asCByteCode*): Assertion `tempVariables.GetLength() == 0' failed.
1) Is this my mistake? 2) Any way to make it work? Thanks a lot for any help :)
Advertisement
This is a mistake of mine. That assert is there to verify that this never happens, since it happened there is a bug in the library that I need to find.

I'm not sure but you may be able to work around this by returning a GuiButton@ instead of a reference.

You can do this by registering your function like so:

engine->RegisterObjectMethod("Gui", "GuiButton@+ AddButton(const string& in, const Vector2& in, const Vector2& in)", asMETHOD(Gui, AddButton), asCALL_THISCALL);

The library will automatically increase the reference count for the returned object (because of the autohandle @+), so you don't have to change your C++ function.

Give it a try and let me know if it works. In the meantime I'll work on the true solution to the problem.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote: Original post by WitchLord
I'm not sure but you may be able to work around this by returning a GuiButton@ instead of a reference.

You can do this by registering your function like so:

engine->RegisterObjectMethod("Gui", "GuiButton@+ AddButton(const string& in, const Vector2& in, const Vector2& in)", asMETHOD(Gui, AddButton), asCALL_THISCALL);

The library will automatically increase the reference count for the returned object (because of the autohandle @+), so you don't have to change your C++ function.

Yay! This works!
Gee, where are those things documented? I had never seen before this construct "@+"...

Thanks a lot for the quick response Andreas :D
The @+ was mentioned on the forum and I believe is in the list of changes in changelog.
This forum -is- the documentation.
Quote: Original post by Deyja
This forum -is- the documentation.

Yes, I think I got it ;)
Although a place to share knowledge (which doesn't expire, like forum posts) might be nice (wiki, anyone :p).

I am an open source developer myself and I can perfectly understand that documentation is not top-priority for an open-source developer (although it should be). But if we, the users, could put our little hints & tips - knowledge gained either searching or asking here - somewhere to stay, then it 'd be easier for a newcomer to get to know AngelScript and *stick* with it.

For example, here's a small tip for those who tried binding a const function and failed:
(by const I mean: 'void foo::bar() const')

#define asMETHODCONST(c,m) asSMethodPtr<sizeof(void  c::*)()const)>::Convert((void (c::*)()const)(&c::m))#define asMETHODCONSTPR(c,m,p,r) asSMethodPtr<sizeof(void  c::*)()const)>::Convert((r (c::*)p const)(&c::m)) 

Put these definitions somewhere globally in your sources (or even angelscript.h) and use asMETHODCONST/asMETHODCONSTPR instead of asMETHOD/asMETHODPR when binding const functions.
It's definetely not the best - or secure - way (this would be Andreas' job ;) ), but it helped me bind my Vector2 class without problems.

Regards,
Yiannis :)
It's also possible to change code like this.

GuiButton btn = GUI.AddButton("Hello world 3!", Vector2(200, 50), Vector2(100, 50));

to

GuiButton btn;
btn = GUI.AddButton("Hello world 3!", Vector2(200, 50), Vector2(100, 50));

This works like workaround to.
Game programmer.DirectX9, OpenGL.
Although I got it working, many thanks wolfeinstein :)
A Wiki would be a good idea (I believe it was brought up before as well). Unfortunately I can't put one up on my site very easily since I do not control what is installed on the server. I'll have to talk to GameDev.net staff, to see if they can install some software that I can use as a Wiki. It would of course be possible to write one in ASP, but I really don't feel like starting that project.

I try to at least keep the documentation up to date, but I can honestly say that developing the library is much more important to me. But if you feel that there is information missing in the documentation (or something wrong) then you are free to submit suggestions for improvement.

The const methods can be registered with the current asMETHODPR macro. The const would then be part of the parameter declaration. Example:

asMETHODPR(Foo, bar, () const, void)

But to simplify things I just might add a couple of macros for const methods.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote: Original post by WitchLord

The const methods can be registered with the current asMETHODPR macro. The const would then be part of the parameter declaration. Example:

asMETHODPR(Foo, bar, () const, void)

But to simplify things I just might add a couple of macros for const methods.

I *believe* I tried that but then again I might be wrong.
(Hmm, looking at the code this *should* work so probably I was mistaken)

Regards,
Yiannis.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement