🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Borland C++ project file for AngelScript

Started by
4 comments, last by WitchLord 18 years, 8 months ago
I want to support Borland as well. However I do not have to time to do the actual porting. Especially since I don't have an easy to use IDE for the compiler. If someone wants to help me with the porting to the Borland C++ Compiler I will be very grateful.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by WitchLord
I want to support Borland as well. However I do not have to time to do the actual porting. Especially since I don't have an easy to use IDE for the compiler.

If someone wants to help me with the porting to the Borland C++ Compiler I will be very grateful.

Although I haven't used BCC much, I 'll try to help you. Recently I got some reports for wrong linker params for BCC in Code::Blocks and I was going to look into it anyway, so I might as well do it with a real-world example ;)

Yiannis.
That would be great. I saw on your page that Code::Blocks supports the Borland C++ compiler. How easy is it to set up? Can it do visual debugging with disassembly?

There might be more than just linker problems with AngelScript. Especially if the inline assembly is used.

I suggest you first try compiling the library with the option AS_MAX_PORTABILITY, which disables the inline assembly and only uses the calling convention asCALL_GENERIC. Maybe you'll have to use the AS_NO_CLASS_METHODS as well, incase you get trouble with the asMETHOD macros and method pointers.

With a joint effort I'm sure we'll be able to port the library to the Borland compiler, at least in the compatibility mode.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

That would be great. I saw on your page that Code::Blocks supports the Borland C++ compiler. How easy is it to set up? Can it do visual debugging with disassembly?

It's pretty easy to setup. After you install BCC, if you install C::B it'll find it and be ready for it. If you 've installed C::B prior to installing BCC, just go to "Settings->Compiler->[select bcc]->Programs" and press "Auto-Detect" :)

The current debugger plugin works only with gdb, so this means unfortunately no debugging for BCC (unless it can be configured to create gdb-compatible debug symbols?)
This will change after 1.0 is released...

There might be more than just linker problems with AngelScript. Especially if the inline assembly is used.

I suggest you first try compiling the library with the option AS_MAX_PORTABILITY, which disables the inline assembly and only uses the calling convention asCALL_GENERIC. Maybe you'll have to use the AS_NO_CLASS_METHODS as well, incase you get trouble with the asMETHOD macros and method pointers.

With a joint effort I'm sure we'll be able to port the library to the Borland compiler, at least in the compatibility mode.

I 'll keep you posted on my progress.
Just an update on the progress.

I 've built AngelScript with Borland's compiler but the tutorial fails (asserts) when binding the string type.
I think that it's time for you to look into it, Andreas. You know better after all ;)
The only problem is that you 'd need the CVS C::B version because I 've fixed a couple of bugs regarding BCC support on the way. That's why I haven't sent you the project files yet.
But the next release, 1.0rc2, is pretty close now (probably this week), so just wait a while :)

Cheers,
Yiannis.
That's great to hear. :)

Let me know when you have finished the new release, and I'll take a look at the Borland-AngelScript problem.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement