🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Informal poll - 4E4 entrants: who will win?!

Started by
19 comments, last by Thunder_Hawk 18 years, 9 months ago
I was going to title this "AArghh, 2 weeks left", but anyway... I thought as a bit of fun, in the next few days people could post screenshots or whatever - which should by now look like a real game! At the end of this time, I'll ask everyone to vote on their tip for the winner. So let's say - post your entries until end of Wednesday. After that I'll put up details on how to vote. Any takers... (please don't put too much crap in this thread to make it easier to check out the entries, post commetns in the screenshot or other thread..)
Advertisement
This post is reserved for my images, which I will provide shortly!
I bet FaceHat will come out of the woodwork with some amazing project and blow us all away...

Seriously though, there are some amazingly talented people entering. It is going to be really interesting to see who wins.
I don't know who will win, but I can tell you that it won't be me.
Oberon, why do you think you won't win? I think everyone has a good chance I've seen some great stuff on the screenshot thread.
-Lost Little Girl in Gamedev (LLGG)---------------------------------------------Insert Soulless Corporate Logo HERE. I am Dread Pirate Roberts(TM) #17603. Please ask about franchise opportunities in your area!
Quote: Original post by Klora Jardi
Oberon, why do you think you won't win? I think everyone has a good chance I've seen some great stuff on the screenshot thread.

Well, there's mainly two reasons:

a. My game probably won't be finished in time (although I may finish it, you never know)
b. I am very pessimistic when I talk about my own stuff. I've started and not even come close to finishing too many projects for that to be otherwise... (this is my first game that I've written since my many versions of Pong, which goes to show you how my usual projects go)

So yeah. I'm probably not going to win. Probably one of those guys with the FPSs are going to win...
I agree some of those FPS games using existing engines look impressive. But who knows - they could just be pirate/zombie/ninja models in a cliched FPS wrapper. Whether that would matter too much remains to be seen!

I don't realistically hope to win. But I would like to be one of the top entries not using an existing engine (I had some DX wrapper stuff and a basic heightmap).

Oberon, if you get it in a playable state I'd rank any RTS quite highly, simply because there's more to it than moving an animated model around a 3D world. From screenshots, the only difference between our projects seems to be graphical - which is just one part of the score!

It seems nobody wishes to nominate themself for a vote :(
I reckon I'm going to win.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well so far Superpig has 100% of the votes to win 4E4...
Woo! Landslide victory baby!

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement