🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

# of times a topic has been viewed

Started by
4 comments, last by morfe 23 years, 6 months ago
How about showing a tally of how many times a topic has been viewed. It''s been done over at the [H]ard Forum. It helps since you can see whether people are actually looking at your topic and not replying or just not looking there. And it''s a better representation of popularity than just how many replies it got. "NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
"When you are willing to do that which others are ashamed to do, therein lies an advantage."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Advertisement
yeah this would be good.

Eco Terrorist - a name given to people who work in favor of the environment. Very interesting yes?
yeah, but then people may substantiate if there were a lot of views but little posts, that the thread was obviously not interesting to a lot of people and therefore not worth looking into. And I''m sure there will be some idiot (or a few) that will start claiming bragging rights as to who has the most number of views. Sounds stupid but you''d be surprised....

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software
==============================

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Someone suggested this just last week. The problem is that it would require that the database be opened for writing every time a thread is viewed, which would cause a performance hit. The way UBB does it causes a performance hit as well. I''d be surprised if any forum that gets the kind of traffic this one does uses view counting.
Hmmm. Point taken, however, Lionhead use UBB and they have it. And their user base is around 9000 with a hell of a lot of hits especially in the Black & White forum...

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
"When you are willing to do that which others are ashamed to do, therein lies an advantage."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
UBB would have had the functionality built in, so they got that whether they wanted it or not, whereas this one was built as an ASP alternative and unnecessary features didn't get added, I guess. And I think that writing to the database each time would have something of an impact. ASP and SQL Server are slow enough as is.

Oh, and one more thing: I don't like the idea of some newbie posting "Hey, I know u guyz are looking at this, 36 of u, and no1 has replied so I'm bumping this back 2 the top again until someone says something", repeatedly. I'd rather it was kept hidden.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement