🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using FMOD?

Started by
5 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 9 months ago
Are we allowed to use FMOD? It says on the license page that: "Yes that's right, if your product is not intended to make any money, and is not charged for in any way, then you may use FMOD in it for FREE! " We aren't gonna charge anything, but if we use FMOD then neither can Gamedev. So is that a violation somehow of the contest rules?
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
Advertisement
I seem to recall that one of the entrants emailed the FMOD guys to ask, and their response was "go for it".
Ah, ok. Cool. :)
Actually it was me, but yeah, they're fine with it being used for this. (If you go on to publish your entry as a full shareware or commercial game later on then you'll need to buy a license, of course).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Right. Well, as mentioned, I doubt we will sell it, but it seems as if gamedev might want the right to do so, which they can't unless they pay FMOD first. I don't think gamedev will want to sell it either, but, well, I thought I'd ask. It's been linked from the free resources thread forever though so I guess if it was a problem it would've been mentioned before.

As a side note, it took me perhaps 30-45 minutes to find PySonic, the Python wrapper, and convert our OpenAL sound manager to use that instead. :)
right now i use opena[na]l why do you ask ;)
Quote: Notwithstanding mentioned ownership rights, by entering, the entrant personally or on behalf of their company grant GameDev.net permanent, non-exclusive, world-wide rights and a license, but not an obligation, free of any charge or compensation, to use, edit, copy, distribute and publish all or part of the entry, and all rights subsidiary to and derivative from the entry, in any medium now known or invented in the future, for promotional, advertising or demonstration purposes for GameDev.net's products or services or for GameDev.net generally.

The whole "rights for GameDev to use the entry" thing is aimed at using it to promote the site (e.g. having it running on a screen at our GDC booth, featuring it on the site frontpage for download, etc), not for selling it. The FMOD guys have said they're fine with us doing that.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement