🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A big small request :)

Started by
7 comments, last by morfe 23 years, 5 months ago
Right. I need some help. Up until now, I have been referring to my towns and cities as town0021, and city0201, etc. But now, I need some real names So, please post your ideas for names for medieval-ish towns, villages and cities. I can only do so many using random generators before I start hating them, so I need some external input. Thanks, and don''t be afraid to go nuts... I won''t get them all from here, but I need a little over eleven thousand names (and I don''t want too many doubles) Good night (I''m off to bed)... "NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
"When you are willing to do that which others are ashamed to do, therein lies an advantage."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Advertisement
I dont know if this is going to be helpful, but most medieval (or saxon names) usually describe the town to some degree...

e.g. the british city of Oxford, which started life as a small village arround a ford in the river Thames where people used to take thier oxen through...

Cathedral cities always end in chester.. of course depending on your language u may use different terms, but u get the idea...

NightWraith
I suppose NightWraith''s idea is worthy all across europe.

Why don''t you take your city names from several countries across europe?

By doing so, you could have multiple names with different roots: an english one , a dutch, a german, an italian, a french, a spanish, an austrian , and so on.

Cities will sound slightly differently.

Anyhow this is my contribution: italian names are taken from saints who were adored in the middle age as those who protected the city (San Gimignano, San Pancrazio, etc.)or were just taken from more latin words related to geography/history(napoli = neapolis = new city (villeneuve in french?), milano = mediolanum = mid land,).

Try this: Maleventum (Bad wind), which is the ancient name of Benevento (Good wind), changed when romans won an importnat battle...
Thanks for the replies. Basically the settlements are of three (approximate) flavours: Roman, Oriental and Middle Eastern, but I''m more interested in the Roman names, since I have a lot of the other two already.

I rather like Maleventum. I think I''ll name one of the Towers that ...

Oh, and while you''re here, what''s a good suffix for Ignis? A fortress called .... Ignis -- I can''t get the first bit right...

Anyway, thanks again.

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
"When you are willing to do that which others are ashamed to do, therein lies an advantage."
"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..." -- Merrick
Some fun Roman names, although they may not work for cities...
Rosae sub Luna (roses beneath the moon)
Cantos Tenebrae (song shadows)
Flamma a Ventus (wildfire)
Cerritas Similis Vulpus (crazy like a fox)
probably some of that is spelled wrong...

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

quote: Original post by morfe

Oh, and while you''re here, what''s a good suffix for Ignis? A fortress called .... Ignis -- I can''t get the first bit right...

Anyway, thanks again.

CapIgnis- "Rockhead" if you don''t mind some creative and wildly incorrect translation. what could be a better fortress name?

For a town Olde Norte Weste Towne

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
quote: Original post by lupine
CapIgnis- "Rockhead" if you don''t mind some creative and wildly incorrect translation. what could be a better fortress name?

Ignis is Latin for Fire. How do you get Rockhead?

"NPCs will be inherited from the basic Entity class. They will be fully independent, and carry out their own lives oblivious to the world around them ... that is, until you set them on fire ..."
quote: Original post by morfe

Ignis is Latin for Fire.

i said wildly incorrect did'nt I? oh and its a prefix...
so Its "fire head",
do you like the name or not?

Edited by - lupine on January 4, 2001 2:59:49 PM
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
To create authentic sounding Latin names, just add ''us'' on the end. So ....Ignis could be ''Lassimus doth Ignis''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement