🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E4] The people's voice

Started by
7 comments, last by Wan 18 years, 9 months ago
Looking at all these recommendations and reviews, wouldn't be fun to have a real poll so members could rate the entries? Some sort of people's award (no prizes involved, just ranking)? Or would that interfere with the judges final decision and only create a lot of debate who really made the best game?
Advertisement
Well, presumably we would be judging on different things. I think it would be cool to at least do something, even if it wasn't a formal poll. Community reviews are certainly helpful, as well.

Speaking of which, I rather hope that the judges give feedback.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
It would probably junk everything up but what about starting a thread for each game entered in the contest? Then when you play the game, go to that thread and give comments.
It might be a bit more useful to each team than looking through tiers, random threads and unclear comments.
Also, does anyone else wish Gamedev would keep count/ticker of how many times each game was downloaded? I have a feeling the big games aren't getting much of a response because you can download 4+ little ones in the same time.
Lastly, I like the screenshots on the download page but I miss the hover text that gave you a summary of the game who do I talk to to get that back?
-Lost Little Girl in Gamedev (LLGG)---------------------------------------------Insert Soulless Corporate Logo HERE. I am Dread Pirate Roberts(TM) #17603. Please ask about franchise opportunities in your area!
In a way it'd be cool but 45 threads would fill the forum, and just drop off anyway. We'd need a separate forum... unless somebody wants to use all this free time to create a site for this!

I'd be keen on a GameDev's members' choice vote.

And I'd really love each entry to get even a couple of sentences review as well as a score breakdown - so you know why you got 1/10 for gameplay!
Quote: Original post by Avatar God
Well, presumably we would be judging on different things.

So do people who buy games. Instead of the "objective" view of the judges, it would in some way measure the popularity (and perhaps even the commercial possibilities) of the entries among consumers. Although of course, one cannot say that a group of GDNet members are a perfect representation of the target audience.
Quote: Original post by Klora Jardi
It would probably junk everything up but what about starting a thread for each game entered in the contest? Then when you play the game, go to that thread and give comments.

Like you said, that would clutter up the forum listing.
Quote: Original post by d000hg
We'd need a separate forum... unless somebody wants to use all this free time to create a site for this!

I could create and host a page for voting, but it on order to prevent cheating, I would have to check ip addresses since I do not have access to the database/sessions on gamedev.net. I will never be able to check whether a visitor is a member or not.
If more people want to see this voting take place, I will see what I can do.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being able to vote for our own entry - you can in governmental elections - but stopping multiple votes is an issue.
Forcing people to register with a valid email woul largely cut this out - how many of us can be bothered to create 10 new accounts - and you'd need more like 100 to affect the results. Of course this might be more work to set up - I don't know that stuff.

But I'm more interested in a forum where each entry gets a thread. You could sticky all threads and stop new ones being allowed. Then it would be easy to see all comments and peer reviews on any game.
I'd really like to see this done; if you announced it in the announceents/game programming/lounge I reckon you'd get more response!
I liked the last TGC competition i entered... they actually had the forum users judge the games.

was pretty cool and seemed to work out ok. (i think there were 53 entries)

in that they made a entire seperate board for the entries.. here with special functions like being able to give a game 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th place (4,2,3, and 1 points respectively)

(the typical style of judging is best in most situations though)
One way you could prevent double voting is some kind of verification system using the PM feature. Someone submits their vote and includes their use name, then the system sends a PM to that user with maybe a link or code or something. I dunno if you could automate the PM sending, but it should work.
I like the DARK layout!
Nice idea, but I think PM's can only be sent by logged in members, a server cannot really mimic this (it could somehow use my account, but it a bit of a hack). Also, you should be careful the automated PM system won't be abused by spammers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement