🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

use angelscript as genereal purpose scripting language

Started by
1 comment, last by WitchLord 18 years, 7 months ago
Hi, all I never used angelscript, but it looks great for me ! I seem to be a very good candidate for some applications in my domain (computational fluid dynamics). I would like to know if it is possible to use it as a general purpose scripting language to completely replace Tcl/Tk, perl or python in application like unix system administration or scientific programming ? I wonder if there are angelscript user that can relate their experience on this. Do angelscript have a functions librairy that can help for such common task (file IO, regular expression and string processing, math, etc) ? Best Regards, vfork_0x00f
Advertisement
As far as I know, AngelScript doesn't have such libraries.

*BUT*

Being so easy to bind to your code, it's really easy to create your own libraries for it :)
Yes, it would be possible to write a command line interpreter that uses AngelScript to provide scripting solutions similar to Perl and the others. An interpreter like that was already written by Jiye Zeng, and is available for download from the AngelScript Extras page. His interpreter was written mostly for experimental purposes and doesn't provide a lot of functionality, however it is plugin-based via DLLs so theoretically it could become quite powerful.

And to confirm what mandrav said. There are no readily available function libraries, but since it is so easy to bind C/C++ functions and methods it shouldn't be too difficult to build your own libraries.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement