🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next compo?

Started by
39 comments, last by SiCrane 18 years, 8 months ago
So, when's the next competition? Is there going to be another one before 4E5?
Advertisement
We are looking into setting aside resources for more contests. So, the answer is "hopefully".

Admin for GameDev.net.

Actually I've been meaning to ask this: does GameDev.net have a "Four Elements" competition every year (at around the same time)? I seem to remember visiting here several years back when the competition was more of a technical demo involving the "classic" four elements of fire, water, air and earth. I'm not sure whether that changes every year, however.

I'm just interested because now I've got my feet wet with a bit of game programming, the next time the competition comes around I'd like to whip something together (as it seems like a fun thing to do).
They had them every year since 2000, but the last 4 elements contest before this one was 3 years ago during the beginning of the summer. I'm not sure why there was such a gap between 3 and 4, but I hope they keep going every year, and maybe throw in a few smaller contests in between.

All of the previous element contests have been the "real" 4 elements, and I believe they changed this year's theme because it was too predictable, and anyone could work on a 4 elements game starting at any time to prepare for whenever the next contest was. It also may have just been to change things up for the heck of it.
Quote: Original post by pi_equals_3
They had them every year since 2000, but the last 4 elements contest before this one was 3 years ago during the beginning of the summer. I'm not sure why there was such a gap between 3 and 4, but I hope they keep going every year, and maybe throw in a few smaller contests in between.

I hope so too, although I can understand if there's difficulty in gathering enough prize sponsors every year.

Quote: All of the previous element contests have been the "real" 4 elements, and I believe they changed this year's theme because it was too predictable, and anyone could work on a 4 elements game starting at any time to prepare for whenever the next contest was. It also may have just been to change things up for the heck of it.

Both those reasons make sense. To make things different, maybe next time an extra element could be added to turn the competition into 5E5 [wink]?
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Both those reasons make sense. To make things different, maybe next time an extra element could be added to turn the competition into 5E5 [wink]?

5 senses, maybe? Where you've got to incorporate them all?

You might get some wicked adventure games that way, at least.

"The gun smells of powder - it was fired recently."
Quote: Original post by meganfox
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid

5 senses, maybe? Where you've got to incorporate them all?

You might get some wicked adventure games that way, at least.

"The gun smells of powder - it was fired recently."

Problem:

Smell, touch and taste dont work in games.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
APC- Way to limit yourself and not be creative. Good work.
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Implement smell in a game without having to build and distribute a peripheral. Oh, and make it GOOD, while you're at it.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Implement smell in a game without having to build and distribute a peripheral. Oh, and make it GOOD, while you're at it.

Where did anyone say that it's the player that must uses these senses? Simply require that the avatar use all 5 senses through the course of gameplay (you could also say that something in the game must show these elements strongly, piecemeal or all together, but that leaves it entirely too open).

Which is why I mentioned adventure games... at least a few of them have had interfaces which are literally the five senses (though "touch" usually ends up as "take", but eh, you get the idea).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement