🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Next competition?

Started by
62 comments, last by d000hg 18 years, 5 months ago
Hello, I have been looking around these parts of the forums to see about entering a contest. I saw the 4E4 contest, and I was wondering if you wantedto have a vote on what the next contest should be? Or just what do you have in mind?
Advertisement
How about a text-only contest? You can write whatever kind of game you want, but it HAS to be in text mode.
FYI, I'm working on a contest format that I plan to run a pilot of in the next month or two.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I think a good idea, is to remake a old game, and who ever remakes the game the best wins
How about an indirect control ai contest. All entries have to have the player modify ai parameters rather than directly control the player.
Quote: Original post by Oberon_Command
How about a text-only contest? You can write whatever kind of game you want, but it HAS to be in text mode.

I second this one, if only because I'd love to see more roguelikes come out of GDNet, eheh.
How about non-violence and non language-dependent. >__<
Quote: Original post by Bezben
How about an indirect control ai contest. All entries have to have the player modify ai parameters rather than directly control the player.

That sounds a little like the 'GD Arena' contest we tried out (informally) a while back. Contestants submitted DLLs containing AI code to power robots; the host program called into the DLL with information about the state of the world, and the DLL controlled what the robot did. AIs were then pitted against each other in a battle arena.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

How about a language specific, individual person contest.
- GDKnight
how about a beauty contest?

How about a microgaming contest? You know, cell phones, pda, etc. Limit its ram/processor usage, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement