🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

more obvious place for newbie help

Started by
5 comments, last by Succinct 23 years, 5 months ago
even w/ the new format, newbies are still posting the same basic stuff that''s 100% covered in the "start here" section of the site. any way to maybe put a disclaimer in the post screen about newbie concerns and where to find proper answers for them or making the start here link more obvious? i like helping people, and i pretty much can only help people who are of less than intermedieate skill, but all newbies post one of the same 5 things, and it clutters up the forums... thank you for your bandwidth ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct. ~Succinct Demos Online~ "Hey, where''d that display list rotate off to now?" -(Drop me a line here)-
-- Succinct(Don't listen to me)
Advertisement
Well, I just had to answer a question about what it takes to get a job depending on education, so I share your pain. I think that a lot of people don''t know that each forum has it''s own FAQ, and many moderators don''t even create a FAQ. It''s like a chiken and egg type thing Why create a FAQ if no one''s gonna read it?

On the other hand, I think the forums are already cluttered with posts that have no meaning, so newbie posts really don''t add much. After a while it just gets so easy answering the same questions I really don''t think about it anymore. But maybe a newbie forum would be nice - I really don''t know if that would help.

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I''m working on adding some more things to help prevent newbies from asking the same questions, but in all honestly, I don''t think that it''ll make much difference. The people making those posts just don''t take the time to look for answers on their own.

Anyway, if you think the forums are bad, you should see the e-mails we get...
i dont think there''d be many replies in a newbie forum. i''d imagine all but the nicest of -not so newbie- members would avoid a forum like that like the plague, and the posts would come and re-infest the other forums
I''ll say right now I wouldn''t mind answering newbie questions in a forum but Myopic is right. Many people don''t look on their own to see if the question has been asked already. (can we say... "search")?

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

maybe put a tag somewhere in the "post new topic" chain of links that tells people something like "if ur new here, chances are your question''s already been answered..."

i don''t mind answering newbie questions either, except for the REAL newbie questions like how do i compile...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have no name that you may call me. I am merely Succinct.
~Succinct Demos Online~

-(Drop me a line here)-

quote: Original post by Gaiiden

I''ll say right now I wouldn''t mind answering newbie questions in a forum but Myopic is right. Many people don''t look on their own to see if the question has been asked already. (can we say... "search")?

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"
Blade Edge Software

But until recently there have been off/on problems with the search. And since the move to the NEW servers the search is COMPLETELY broke. That does make a big difference.

BeS
It''s Da BOMB Baby!!!
BeSIt's Da BOMB Baby!!!. o O ~ A little nonsense now and then,is relished by the wisest men~ O o .-- Willy Wonka

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement