🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript and Mac OS X

Started by
35 comments, last by afb 18 years, 4 months ago
Thank you very much for those complimenting words. Please tell everyone you know. [wink]

Of course, if I did have a Mac I would definitely be able to implement the native calling conventions. I would definitely appreciate a donation. [grin]

Though, I have to be honest with you. I would only buy a Mac if I had lots, and lots of money for which I had no better use. So unless I actually receive the Mac itself as a donation, I probably won't be going out buying one myself.

What I really want to buy right now, is a 64bit system. So that I can get the library working on that. If you made a donation it would get me a step closer to that purchase.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by WitchLord
Thank you very much for those complimenting words. Please tell everyone you know. [wink]

I will.

Of course, if I did have a Mac I would definitely be able to implement the native calling conventions. I would definitely appreciate a donation. [grin]

That's what I wanted to hear. [grin]

So unless I actually receive the Mac itself as a donation, I probably won't be going out buying one myself.

That's actually what I thought about. So I can start saving money. [wink] But it might take some time since I first want to wait for the Intel Mac mini which allows the development and testing of Intel and PPC (via Rosetta emulator) code.

I don't know which ABI the three next generation game consoles (XBox 360, Playstation 3 and Nintendo) use since that also depends on the OS. But they all use the PPC processors. So maybe you could get compatibility to some of the new consoles for free.

What I really want to buy right now, is a 64bit system. So that I can get the library working on that. If you made a donation it would get me a step closer to that purchase.

You can probably understand that my personal interest is not so big for a 64 bit version yet. But I'm sure many people would appreciate it very much.

By,
Martin
I'd appreciate whatever donation you make. [smile]

The Mac Mini is a very cool machine that I would definitely love to be an owner of (though not enough to spend my money on it [wink]). I remember reading about it when it first arrived and thinking to myself how cool it would be to have one of those.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Hi,
so I guess we have a deal. I will buy you a Mac (once the Intel Mac minis become available, but it will happen this year for sure) and you make Angelscript run natively on OS X.
I've also found lots of additional ABI documentation, so I'm sure it won't be a problem for you to translate the necessary functions.

Meanwhile I use the excellent generic mode. And once the native function calls are available I can switch easily the performance critical functions (vector math) to native calls.

By,
Martin
Yayy!!!

Will you still buy the Mac for me, even if someone implements native support for PPC before the Intel Mac Mini comes out? *crossing my fingers* [wink]

Actually, when Code::Blocks started using AngelScript internally the AngelScript userbase increased immensely. There are even people using PPC, so it is quite possible that you may not actually have to wait until I have a Mac to get the native support. Let's hope someone with experience is willing to spend the time to do the necessary port.

Regards,
Andreas

Hi,
it would be nice if someone else makes the Mac port first. The earlier the better. Nevertheless I'm still convinced that it would be very positive for the Mac OS X support if the main developer has access to a Mac. So I would donate the Mac nevertheless. Now it's up to Apple to release the Intel Mac minis soon.

But I think PPC != MacOS compatibility since the native Windows Intel calls don't work on my Intel iMac too. That's why I'm not sure if a Linux PPC port would actually work on MacOS X. The ABI is probably different. I guess it has something to do that Mac apps are Mach-O files.

By,
Martin

You're right, a Linux PPC port wouldn't automatically add support for Mac OS X, but it would be a step closer. The native calling conventions differ between compilers on the same platform as well, at least on Windows. Perhaps on the Mac the compilers are more standardized in regards to calling conventions.

But even with a Linux PPC port I would at least have a notion of how the inline assembly would look like.

On a related note, I have recently attempted a port for my game Atomixer with the help of some Mac savvy friends but hit a wall due to lack of a Mac version of Angelscript. Unfortunately, the AS engine is integrated both in my game code and my engine code. Thus, compiling with MAX_PORTABILITY and switching both engine and actual game bindings to the scripts using asCALL_GENERIC is not an option I'd like to pursue. I will probably hold back on the Mac port until the Mac/PPC calls are implemented.
tIDE Tile Map Editorhttp://tide.codeplex.com
Perhaps your Mac savvy friends could help with the port?

What's needed for the port is an implementation of as_callfunc_x86.cpp for the Mac OS X platform. It would require knowledge of inline assembly, but not too much as most of the actual assembly code could be taken from disassemblies of compiled code.

While you're here, I might as well congratulate you on a great game. I meant to send you a note personally, but never got to it. I have played the game though, and I must say that I like it quite a bit. Everything worked smoothly and with great graphics. Please make more games with this quality. [wink]

Regards,
Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I'd like to avoid burdening them with this issue as it might consume too much of their time especially since they would need to familiarise with AS first. Perhaps the task could be simplified if you could provide a copy of "as_callfunc_x86.cpp" modified to include the code required to support Mac OS X but with a placeholder for the assembly code itself. I would have to ask them first though! :)

Thanks for your comments re Atomixer. I admit that using AS within the game was almost an overkill given its relative simplicity compared to larger commercial games. Still, I have found it handy for anything from simple configuration files to actual game logic. The the rules of the two game modes are implemented using scipts so in theory I can add more game modes simply by adding scripts with different rules for level completion and winning the game. I am glad to hear you liked Atomixer and hope that it contributes to the popularity of Angelscript.
tIDE Tile Map Editorhttp://tide.codeplex.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement