🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Global variable weirdness

Started by
3 comments, last by villemon 18 years, 4 months ago
Alright, here's more funky stuff with 2.5. With the new 2.5.0b I tried to move once again to the new version from 2.4.1, and I'm getting corrupted global variables. I have a certain number of global variables, kind of like this: const double somevariable=2; Now there's a decent number of these variables, and what I'm seeing is that some of them seem to contain random data, and some of them not. I'll try to see if I can patch up a test script for you. [edit] It seems that it's enough just to declare global variables like: const double a=12; const double b=5; const double c=35.2; const double d=4; Here's the funny thing. It depends on the kind of number it is whether it freaks out or not. For example the above would give the results: a=5.92879e-323 b=2.47033e-323 c=35.2 d=1.97626e-323 [edit] If I just leave the const out, then it works alright. [Edited by - villemon on February 2, 2006 6:40:30 AM]
Advertisement
That's strange. It's probably related to the pure constant feature that I implemented, to allow the use of named constants in expressions.

I'll look into it.

When are you seeing the corrupted values? Right after building the scripts or after loading pre-compiled bytecode?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This would be a non-preloaded issue, as in it happens right after compiling the code.
I found the problem. This bug actually showed up with constant local variables as well.

Two lines of code must be added to as_compiler.cc to fix this:

line 516:

void asCCompiler::CompileDeclaration(asCScriptNode *decl, asCByteCode *bc){  ...  while( node )  {    ...    if( node && node->nodeType == snArgList )    {      ...    }    else if( node && node->nodeType == snInitList )    {      ...    }    else    {      ...      if( node && node->nodeType == snAssignment )      {        ...        if( type.IsPrimitive() )	{          if( type.IsReadOnly() && expr.type.isConstant )	  {            ImplicitConversion(&expr, type, node, false);            sVariable *v = variables->GetVariable(name.AddressOf());            v->isPureConstant = true;            v->constantValue = expr.type.qwordValue;          }          ...        }        else        {          ...        }        ...      }      ...    }  }}

line 1269:

int asCCompiler::CompileGlobalVariable(asCBuilder *builder, asCScriptCode *script, asCScriptNode *node, sGlobalVariableDescription *gvar){  ...  if( node && node->nodeType == snArgList )  {    ...  }  else if( node && node->nodeType == snInitList )  {    ...  }  else  {    ...    if( node )    {      ...      if( gvar->datatype.IsPrimitive() )      {        if( gvar->datatype.IsReadOnly() && expr.type.isConstant )        {          ImplicitConversion(&expr, gvar->datatype, node, false);          gvar->isPureConstant = true;          gvar->constantValue = expr.type.qwordValue;        }        ...      }      else      {        ...      }      ...    }    ...  }}

Hopefully you shouldn't find any more bugs now. [wink] But if you do, don't hesitate to tell me.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Great, that fixes it. Thanks for fixing these bugs so fast! :)
Can't seem to find any more bugs, seems to work alright now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement