🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lesson 31 running slow

Started by
3 comments, last by levjs 18 years, 3 months ago
Lesson 31 was running fine when I firest donwloaded it, but I wanted to make my own 3d model spin around, so I modified the code to load my model. All I changed was the name of the model to load. But when it loads my model, it uses 100%CPU, and runs really really slow. When I edit the code, so its not textured, it runs normally. Does anyone know what the problem is? I thought it might have been getting the bitmaps from file every loop? Is anyone else having this problem? `Azohko
Advertisement
Does your model have a power of 2 texture?

Non power of 2 textures often cause huge FPS losses, as texture rendering is optimised for powers of 2. Try make your texture have dimensions that are a power of 2 such as 256x256, 128x512 or something, and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, maybe you can give more info on the model you are using.
Well, Thanks a hell of a lot
I completely forgot about that

It now runs fine
I owe you my life, or a lot of gummy bears

`Azohko
Hi there, I'm using version 1.7.5 of milkshape, and i cant seem to get nay textures on my model at all. Just come sup white. Seems like its quite a common problem and maybe to do with relative versus absolute file paths for the textures. Supposedly there is an updated lesson 31 on Brett Porter's site, but the downlaod link is broken for the updated source...... Anyone help? Tried finding milkshape 1.5 or less to no avail.
Try putting a call to reloadTextures in your init code, that's also a problem sometimes.
Levi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement