🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

For What Genre is My Game Suited?

Started by
2 comments, last by Santarr 18 years, 4 months ago
Greetings to the GameDev.net community! Hi, my name is Jamie and I am a new member on this site. I am working on my first game project, though I have practiced developing simple games before. I have some experience with computer programming and short story writing and I am learning high level languages. I am attempting to make it as original as I can, but also interesting for people to like it. Once this storyline is totally complete I will employed it in an adventure type of game, but after reconsidering I think it may be more suited for an RPTS. Please review it and advise me as to what game genre is this story best suited so I can continue my project. The story is about 12 false gods who escaped to a planet and enslaved the native species. Out of their reach, the false gods have awakened a part of their DNA that forces them to feed on emotional energy. Before they discovered and awakened this trait in them, they had been engaged in war with each other. Then the soul of the planet required the assitance of a righteous hero who will be recruited for sabotage and highjacking missions. In a great battle, all villains and protagonists will physically fight each other to the death. The protagonists win and the hero witnessed their triumph. [Edited by - CyberneticNinja on March 14, 2006 4:15:41 PM]
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart" - Helen Keller
Advertisement
Kind of reminds me of Starcraft and Warcraft, those are RTS games. A TBS would be much easier to program though.

Quote: Then after long years of bloody wars, the Astarician gods noticed that they could not eat food. They discovered that only emotional energy could feed them. Somehow they had mutated this way.

I would scrap that part though, it sounds really implausible. Maybe instead, they discovered they could consume emotional energy to do new cool magic, and leave the food out of it entirely unless you want the player to have to feed their armies.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote: Original post by sunandshadow
Kind of reminds me of Starcraft and Warcraft, those are RTS games. A TBS would be much easier to program though.

Quote: Then after long years of bloody wars, the Astarician gods noticed that they could not eat food. They discovered that only emotional energy could feed them. Somehow they had mutated this way.

I would scrap that part though, it sounds really implausible. Maybe instead, they discovered they could consume emotional energy to do new cool magic, and leave the food out of it entirely unless you want the player to have to feed their armies.

Thank you, your suggestion sounds like a nice idea.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart" - Helen Keller
It depends on how you want the player to see and interact with the world, is it from a god like position akin to say populous as one of the gods. As a chosen commander and so turn it more into a RTS. As a skilled individual (FPS or RPG).

It really just depends on what you like to have as a level of interaction and possibilities for the player.

For example look at warcraft.. from a rts to a rpts to even a mmorpg while the setting and the main storyline are the same for all 3 versions just the interaction and the way the story is told differs not the story itself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement