🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OSDev Compo

Started by
4 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 3 months ago
Here's an idea: since there's so many people these days who are developing their own OS's, why not have an OS competition? People could enter the OS's that they're working on (categorized by level of completion), and we could have a few people judge stuff like how stable the OS is, the cleanliness of the code, how creative the design of the OS is, etc.
Advertisement
I'm not sure I *want* a creatively designed OS... Is it supposed to be a good thing? [wink]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

pwnt [lol]
Ohhh...

Well, how about an OS that IS a game? You know, like Boot Sector Tic-tac-toe? Basically just a bootable game, similar idea except you don't really need to worry about a filesystem, you can just load all the disk sectors in at once.
You mean like a competition to make a "bootable" game, like you submit a disc image and then the judges burn it to a CD and boot from it?

I guess we could. The big problem is that you'd have a lot of trouble making use of the hardware because it's not fixed and so you'd need drivers, and as such the games would have to be very basic (tic-tac-toe level basic). I suppose we could just point people at a Linux distro or something, but if we did that we might as well just hold a Linux development contest. I'm also concerned that having to download, burn to a CD or disk, and reboot the machine isn't going to be a terribly popular distribution model with the visitors who come along to try out the entries. There's also the fact that I try to run contests that are going to help participants build useful, practical skills that helps them in their careers as developers, and I'm not sure that this is particularly useful.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement