🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Combat command detection...

Started by
0 comments, last by Zero1 24 years, 9 months ago
Hello, there! I was wondering whether anyone knew a good method for detecting streetfighter style commands than this simple method I dreamed up:

Utilise a pair of buffers to accept input :

1- A keystroke buffer

2- A complete command buffer

the keystroke buffer accepts input as is from the keyboard..(or wherever) but also records timing and idle periods. by repeatedly scanning this buffer and checking for recognisable patterns (such as the infamous quarter circle), a seperate routine will then insert commands into the complete command buffer, which the actual engine sees.

I've implemented a small test version of it in QBASIC and it seems to handle twitch response rather well. Does anyone have any comments, suggestions, or better methods?

Advertisement
This is exactly what you want to do. From there is just takes a lot of tweaking and testing to make sure you can capture all your responses and not give the user the leeway needed to reasonably make them.

-Geoff

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement